• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved SFTP backup manager

ok I can confirm now that issue is same with SFTP or FTPS. whatever the method, if backup is on distant server, customer will not see it.

@fabieng

Sorry for the late response, a bit busy the latest days.

I did some tests though........ and I think there is another more important issue at hand - you are encountering issues due to the backup method chosen.

That is, the root cause of your problems - disk shortages - is probably related to the setup of your backups.

I can see that you use incremental backup - this often causes backup files to be larger than necessary : just use full backups with lower levels of rotation.

I can imagine that there is this flaw in your structural setup of backups, with three areas that can cause potential issues :

1 - incremental backup on a per-domain or a per-subscription basis : as noted before, disk space required for incremental backups can be huge, (and)
2 - the presence of a full or incremental server-wide backup : potential double usage of disk space, (and)
3 - incremental backups in general : when losing one of the incremental backup files, it will become difficult or even impossible to restore the backup,

implying that it might be the case that you have to investigate whether the design structure of your backups has to be reviewed.

It can be recommended to only run a server-wide full backup locally and, in addition, to run per-domain / per-subscription full backups remotely.

Hope the above helps a bit.

Regards........

well, this is not exactly the case. I do not have any set up per-domain or per-subscription. Backups (full / incrementals) are at plesk level, so at server level.

What I higlighted, is that even if configuration is at server level, when scheduled backups are on local server, we can do recover directly from domain / subscription, even if nothing has been configurated to do backup per domain / subscription.
at the opposite, when I do remote backup, the domain / subscription does not see anymore the backups available !

so point 1 is not the case.

regarding point 2, as said, my configuration is at server level, but this is not taking that much space, but anyway, I need it for the webs I host. I am using VPS, with limited disk space.

and point 3, you're absolutly right, but I have another system of backup in parallel, I do rsync on another server with zfs snapshot file system, so it's ok ;)

the only problem here is that, again, with remote storage, end user does not see anymore the backups available, which is really a loss of autonomy. they will have to call me to restore some files in case of disaster, which I would have avoid to be disturbed for :(

Back