• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Shared SSL question

deltatech

Regular Pleskian
I have multiple web servers and the primary domain on all of them is the same domain each with their own subdomain. I have an SSL cert that I put on that subdomain and the subdomain is NOT www.

I want to use this cert for the shared SSL and the control panel access. I have it working now for the control panel.

How can I use this as the shared SSL cert?

The docs say, it has to be assigned to a hosted domain. The problem is that when setting up a domain, it either has to be a www.mydomain.com or mydomain.com. Both of these are in use on other machines. This machine is called apollo.mydomain.com but I don't see any way of adding that as a domain.

Is there a way to do this?

I believe what you need is a Wild Card SSL. Any large SSL provider sells these but they are a bit expensive. You would have to create the CSR and SSL for (*.domain.com) . This will allow you to use it on any (sub.domain.com) domain name.

For further clarification, can you tell me what steps I would need to provide one of my hosted sites with an SSL certificate? Currently we are hosting ~250 sites using Plesk Panel, all via a single shared IP. One of our clients has requested SSL for her domain (this is the ONLY domain requiring an SSL certificate).

I've already been told by Network Solutions that I need a shared SSL certificate, but when I start looking, it's not exactly obvious what I need to purchase for this. Can anyone recommend a certificate that works in Plesk's shared IP environment for a site?

Alex, you mentioned a "wildcard" SSL (if that's what I need) was expensive. Any ballpark figures on what this may cost us?

Thanks in advance...
Chad

Any input on this? I'd sure like to know which certificate (and from where I can purchase this) I need to provide SSL support for a single client's domain in our shared IP hosting scenario with Plesk Panel...

Thanks!

What we do is request an additional IP address for the particular customer, and give them a dedicated IP, and purchase an SSL for that domain.

You can buy SSL licenses here: http://www.cavallocomm.com/etools
We sell them from Starfield.

Any solutions for this that don't require dedicating an IP to this domain? I really don't want to go that route.

Back