1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice

Sharing MySQL dB's among domains

Discussion in 'Plesk for Windows - 8.x and Older' started by rbhaydon, May 25, 2004.

1. rbhaydon

rbhaydon Guest

One of my customers wishes me to host multiple domains on a common Plesk 6.5 server that share a common MySQL database, yet I seem to be unable to share a common MySQL dB across domains -- at least one created using PLESK Admin. Each Plesk-created MySQL dB seems only accessible by that dB.

What I have done so far is:

1. Create MySQL dB under Domain "A", and create a username to access it. All is well & works under Domain "A".

2. Under Domain "B" (on the same Plesk 6.5 server), I modify the "global.php" file in the "httpdocs" folder to include a reference to this database created in Domain "A", using the same username & Password. It is denied access...

Does Plesk 6.5 not use "global.php" files to access databases? Is there a way to bypass this control mechanism so that a Plesk-created MySQL database can be shared amongst domains using a common username? Should I create another instance of MySQL running on the Plesk Server that is NOT controlled by Plesk (seems complex...)?

I guess one solution is to host MySQL on another server, but that is not really solving the problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Bruce
    Ottawa, Canada

2. MattR@

MattR@ Guest

Are both domains on the same IP? You may need to drop a copy of PHPMyAdmin on your machine running as the root MySQL user and add a new user with permissions to connect from anywhere, I can't say I've tried it out on any of our machines but I will give it a hook to see if I hit the same problem.

3. rbhaydon

rbhaydon Guest

Hello & thanks for the reply,
    Yes, the server on which this is all taking place uses one IP shared amongst all domains. I did try using PHPMyAdmin to create another user for that original database, but didn't work.

Thanks,
    Bruce

4. XaviB

XaviB Guest

Hi, I run into the same problem. Was there a solution for that? I need to share the DB between 2 domains sharing IP.... I have a DB created under one domain and now we have a new domain sharing some information....

Trying to connect using localhost or IP is not working.... some permissions needed I guess.....