• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Short mail names for pop3/imap

tkalfaoglu

Silver Pleskian
As you know most mail programs suggest short usernames while setting up accounts; and therefore, many people access our system as just "info" for example.

I could not find its location on the latest Onyx (Postfix+Courier)..
I manually did an update to the PSA database, but that's ugly.

Is it gone for good?

hopefully....
That's very very bad practice and those mail programs should change that propose a name without a domain.

Configuring Server-Wide Mail Settings

Names for POP3/IMAP Mail Accounts
If you are using the Qmail mail server, you can select the mail account format.

Selecting the Use of short and full names is allowed option will allow users to log in to their mail accounts by specifying only the left part of email address before the @ sign (for example, username), or by specifying the full email address (for example, [email protected]).

To avoid possible authorization problems for email users who reside in different domains but have identical user names and passwords, we highly recommend that you choose the Only use of full mail account names is allowed option.

Once you have set your mail server to support only full mail account names, you will not be able to switch back to supporting short account names until you make sure there are no encrypted passwords for mailboxes and user accounts with coinciding user names and passwords residing in different domains.

Yes indeed I agree -- using short names is a bad idea.. However every program I know suggests "john" or "mary" or "info" as username :(
thank you for your help.

You should discourage the use of short names as allowing it can cause issues for you with respect of spam/hack etc . please make good docs and send to new customer or existing customers with all needed info needed for them to setup this in the best possible manner like having ssl hostname and use of ssl etc in email clients

Back