• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

should change the domains bandwidth settings or the traffic settings. I am a bit conf

hounds01

New Pleskian
I have a client who has put a magneto cart on our server. There traffic usage has gone from 2GB to over 4GB since installing the new cart. Looking at the stats and overuse messages I am getting from Plesk it appears that this could be a problem with the cart or a hacker not additional users to the site.

I am not sure whether I should change the domains bandwidth settings or the traffic settings. I am a bit confused as to what the difference is. Can anyone help Please?

Bandwidth would be more appropriate if you are concerned for malicious activity on the site. Bandwidth is implemented on a service level, that means nobody can exceed it at any second. However, though it will protect your server overall, bandwidth would equally limit "bad guys" and "good guys".

Traffic is mainly a business limitation, it is counted at the end of a day - at most you can suspend your customer when they have traffic limit exceeded. It doesn't help your client at all.

hi
thank you, that was most helpful.

I have 2 questions.

1 . in the domains account panel there is a section called 'Bandwidth Limiting' which seems to pertain to the just the domain in question and not the whole server. Can I use this to limited their bandwidth?

And there are 2 options, what setting would you recommend here
1. Switch on bandwidth limiting - Maximum bandwidth usage (KB/s) limited to ?
2. Switch on connections limiting - Connections limited to ?

2. suspend your customer when they have traffic limit exceeded. - does this mean it will suspend once the allotment is exceeded and will unsuspended in the next 24 hr cycle or will it stay suspended until I unsuspended?

Hi,
1) you would need to choose appropriate values basing on previous "normal" site conditions (i.e. you could see statistic for past month - for normal amount of visitors and their traffic).
Bandwidth would be a softer restriction - users may experience slow site load. If malicious activity is extreme, they may not be able to get anything.
Connections would be a harder restriction - attacker may occupy the whole pool of connections.
2) it will suspended permanently (until you unsuspend)

Regards

Back