• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Should I uninstall MailEnable because I installed SmarterMail?

Commander

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
Windows Server 2022
Plesk version and microupdate number
Version 18.0.48
I recently created a new VPS hosting account at godaddy on their newer Gen4 servers.

It was provisioned with "MailEnable" mail service by default, but I then installed SmarterMail and Plesk was able to see it and I configured plesk to use it instead of MailEnable.

But I just noticed that all of the MailEnable windows services are still running as well as the MailEnable website inside IIS.

My thinking is that having two mail services running at the same time could cause various problems.

So, should I uninstall MailEnable?

Shouldn't Plesk have disabled those services when I setup plesk to use smartermail?

*** Please be sure of your answer, because I will NOT be able to reinstall MailEnable without completely wiping my entire server (get reprovisioned) and starting all over (1+ week of work in spare time).

(I tried creating a ticket at plesk360.io using my license, but the webpage is not working correctly - the buttons at the bottom (Submit ticket and Chat) do not allow me to click on them.)

Any accurate help would be greatly appreciated!

Have you switched to SmarterMail according to this instruction?

I did, but:

1) I am unsure about changing the "HostName" to 127.0.0.1 because when I installed smartermail it pre-filled this in with my server's default IP.

2) That doc doesn't mention uninstalling MailEnable, so it is still very strange to leave mailenable's services still running - won't they conflict with smartermails ports?

Also,
3) When the plesk doc says "Note: When configuring the SmarterMail server, either specify 127.0.0.1 as the hostname or keep the field empty.", it this "hostname" setting someting in Plesk or a setting in Smartermail?

I ask because Smartermail is telling me that the "Hostname" setting in smartmail needs to be set to my server's RDNS or else my emails could get blacklisted if it doesn't match my servers RDNS.

Back