• Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated
    With the upgrade to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, "Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Servers" will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. We recommend that you migrate to Sophos Anti-Virus for Servers.
  • The Horde webmail has been deprecated. Its complete removal is scheduled for April 2025. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan.

Question Show version of plesk in sign in (and html code)?

Azurel

Silver Pleskian
Server operating system version
AlmaLinux
Plesk version and microupdate number
Does it really make sense to display the version of Plesk for all visitors/hackers at the top of the browser tab for sign in (and more found in the html source)?
I would classify it as an unnecessary risk. If bugs are known for certain versions, can you attack the server more specifically (without testing for it) or am I overestimating the display of the version?
I posted the topic as a question because I could be wrong. What do others think? Of course, it's no protection to leave it out, but I don't see the benefit of doing so either.

I have tested it. Yes you can remove it for the title with custom text, but its still in the html source:
<script type="text/javascript">
//<!--
require.config({"waitSeconds":0,"baseUrl":"\/cp\/javascript\/","urlArgs":"18.0.62-2","paths":{"modules":"\/modules"}});
define('plesk-ui-library', window.PleskUiLibrary); //-->
</script>
Especially if you can change the title, hackers will check for Javascript integration.

Likely, it also should be possible to figure out the used version based on a set of other files and their sizes like html, css, js, etc.
Anyway, I understand your question now better, let's wait for other comments.

You are right, but many updates are internal updates, not for plesk gui files. However, I also don't understand why so many (10) additional files (JS+CSS) have to be loaded for a (simple) login.

Back