1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice

Site access prior to making domain "live"

Discussion in 'Plesk for Windows - 8.x and Older' started by bmd2k1, Sep 20, 2005.

1. bmd2k1

bmd2k1 Guest

In a shared IP environment.....how would I give a user access to their domain....prior to making it "live". ie) pointing DNS servers at it.

This situation would be for folks that are coming from an existing domain/web site......NOT for new sites. (ie. we'd be porting things over...and user would want to verify/change things prior to going live.)

Is there such a thing as an "instant alias".....temporary address that user could go to?

thanks for your time...
    -Brian

2. nimal_ds

nimal_ds Guest

Why not use the site preview function?

Its what we use when we have customers tranfering from another server/host. After theyve transfered files etc to us, they can use the site preview function to check that everything is ok.

hope it helps.

3. bmd2k1

bmd2k1 Guest

with what we are doing.....the domain user will not have Plesk access.....and there "new" site is something that will be built/finalized while there old site is still live.

I'm looking for a way to point them at something in their browser....that will get them to the new site....without resolving to the domain yet.

-Brian

4. mikelegg

mikelegg Guest

Site preview is just a URL so they don't need Plesk access to use it.

Its just http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/$sitepreview/xxxxxxx.com/

Where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is your shared ip and xxxxxxx.com is the domain name you've used to set up the account.

5. bmd2k1

bmd2k1 Guest

Then that sounds like what I'm looking for...I wasn't aware of how it functioned.

Thanks. I will test it out.

-Brian

6. Pagemakers

Pagemakers Silver Pleskian

80%
    That doesn't work for me.