• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Input Moving from Plesk server1 to Plesk server2 questions

larryk

Regular Pleskian
Server operating system version
CentOS Linux 7.9.2009 (Core)
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian v18.0.54_build1800230824.08 os_CentOS 7
I'm on my centos 7 plesk obsidian latest version. Cloud dedicated server (ie. server1)
I have a new, better server2, with new fresh install of lastest plesk but on almalinux 8 (cloud dedicated)

My current server1 with plesk has been migrated many times, started with Plesk 8.
Here is are my thoughts:
1) I'm 100% positive there is old plesk "baggage" if you will on various domains. Baggage meaning, old file structures, old files/software that is no longer supported, just **** that has been left over from many versions and migrations.
2) Each migration has been done by different companies/services/etc. I'm positive they have not done things perfectly, even though ALL are reputable companies, etc. etc.
3) Some upgrades were done on same server.
4) Some upgrades were done from old plesk to new plesk on new server.
5) either way... the migration or upgrade service was still "just copying", using rsync, or using the plesk migrator process.
6) AGAIN, I know there is lots of baggage :(

SO, I'm wanting there to be NO baggage this next move.
How to do that?
I'm assuming I would need to do it myself.... BUT I'm not sure I have the skills (nor want to do it myself?)

Or does Plesk make it easy?
what are your thoughts on HOW to accomplish that?

question: I'm thinking:
a) My current plesk server has domains and IPs.
b) is it possible to move each site one by one from old server new server, where the following happens?
-- use plesk to COPY site to NEW server site.
-- test the new server site (ie. this new server site has its own IP, so it isn't live, but can be tested)
-- correct any errors
-- THEN this one site can be "copied" over again and then go live with the new server.

One site completed. YEAH. do the next one.

my point in this, Surely using Plesk to do the move/copy, plesk doesn't bring over any baggage does it?
doesn't it only copy data?
OR is Plesk going to copy over the baggage as well?

thanks for your input :)

@tkalfaoglu @M_N
after reading your post about migration tool... I only have like 50 domains? Something tells me I should just use the same people who have done migrations for me in the past :(
If something goes wrong or has issue... I don't want to start looking for a needle in a haystack :(

any thoughts about my idea of "no baggage" ?

thank you!

Using Plesk Migrator to migrate one server to a freshly installed Plesk on a new server will work best.

Using Plesk Migrator to migrate one server to a freshly installed Plesk on a new server will work best.
Thanks Peter, but can you elaborate on:

1) is my concept of Baggage real? Does that make sense of what I'm referring to. I just know:
-- I see weird, odd things in old domain accounts that are not in new domain accounts.
-- There are times when domains do weird odd things (that other newer accounts don't do)

2) obviously, migrating 50 sites (some are complex) is not a simple task. It isn't going to take 5 minutes LOL.
I would love input on doing a migration for someone who:
-- I'm technical, but don't use command line.
-- Yes, moving a plain, standard WP site... not a problem. But sites that are complex, big databases, lots of code, files, etc. those can cause issues???
-- moving one site at a time, so my stress level is under control and problems can be fixed easily without a site going down.

thanks

1) If issues are in websites, these will be carried on, because Plesk does not interfere with website content. If issues are on the server, a migration will sure fix that, because Plesk Migrator only migrates content.

2) You can do that step-by-step, but you can also do it all at once. The complexity is no issue unless you have some special custom webserver templates on your old server or significant configuration customizations that work on an old webserver version, but not on a new one. Normally however, that is the case for almost all users.

1) If issues are in websites, these will be carried on, because Plesk does not interfere with website content. If issues are on the server, a migration will sure fix that, because Plesk Migrator only migrates content.

2) You can do that step-by-step, but you can also do it all at once. The complexity is no issue unless you have some special custom webserver templates on your old server or significant configuration customizations that work on an old webserver version, but not on a new one. Normally however, that is the case for almost all users.
thank you. :)

can you define what exactly is Plesk Migrator content? I see directory structures from old plesk versions on older sites. THat is only what I see. It would make logical sense there are other things I can't see. I'm guessing:
a) the plesk migratory pulls "content" for the entire domain? so old content is being pulled?
or
b) the prior migration teams/etc used something else (other than plesk migrator)... and they copied everything?

I am sorry, but I do not know what teams that worked on your server did before.

Plesk Migrator will create an exact copy of your webspace accounts on the new server.

Plesk Migrator will create an exact copy of your webspace accounts on the new server.

Thank, so when Plesk is upgraded and using Migrator, the old plesk version is copied to the new plesk version?
That seems like bad idea? That is where the "baggage" comes from?
When Plesk changes "stuff" for the better, the Migrator would automatically correct/fix/deal with the new better way, instead of just copying the old way...
yes, no?
I have some domain sites since plesk version 8 on my same server.

Plesk is not migrated to your new server. The content like websites, databases, mailboxes is migrated.

but Migrator does copy file structure? sometimes Plesk puts things (files and a structures) in the site... And when new a Plesk version no longer uses it, the old sites still have it. (which then get copied = baggage)

Is the above not correct? Or am I wrong in my thinking?

This is what the Plesk Migrator does:
  • Copies site contents while keeping current file structure.
    • The existing file structure is kept because it's easier to keep the structure how it was instead of trying to update the structure to fit what the current structure is (meaning it does not matter if you're migrating from a previous Plesk version or migrating from cPanel or any other supported panels that Plesk Migrator supports. More on this later.
  • Copies mailboxes.
  • Copies databases.
  • Rebuilds the domain and adds in configuration data based on original server.
    • Basically this is where it remaps the home path and PHP settings, NGINX settings, Apache settings, etc.
      • Note about PHP is that it will only copy over the settings for PHP as long as you have the same kind of PHP handler installed on the target server compared to original server.
So from this the only thing you would have concerns of problems is the configurations itself because if a site is misconfigured on the original server which is giving you issues before then that would copy over, otherwise if it's just a generic server problem, then migrating to the new server would fix a lot of issues as Peter said.

I would honesty would not worry about the file structure itself since the document root is configured under the hosting settings and can be changed.

So in all honestly, have no clue what "baggage" you might be referring to since the Migrator just migrates over what is needed as outlined above. You can learn more about the migrator tool with the following resources:

Back