• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Site Import (Obsidian Linux) - Can't import mail via FTP because site scan fails

nkomarov

New Pleskian
Failed Use Case

This Site Import tool located at https://server.com/modules/site-import/index.php/site-migration/new-migration/site_id/1 is so frustrating...

It doesn't work for me in a simple mode (the DNS configuration is not what the extension expects).

Then I go to advanced mode and see a page with eleven fields/checkboxes and a button.

I press a button and see an error message telling me there are multiple error sources.

Yikes!!! Couldn't you help more with it? For example, by showing FTP login results on that page?

site import guess reasons 2021-08-18 175657 50perc.png

I've checked all the possible reasons - none of them are the case. Dead end.

Improvement Suggestion

If you tried to make it in a Wizard mode, why don't you split this awful page into more sections?

1. Login with ssh/ftp + ask for host/login/password only. IF connection is successful then show the root path and visible (in the ftp/ssh user context) directories.
2. Ask what exactly to import. Websites? Emails only? Other stuff?
3. Show the login result and the folder structure. Ask for paths to files (and your guess what is where) and site root and site address. If everything is fine, start searching and..
4. Show search results and ask for further steps.

Without it, I'm lost. I had to login via FTP using my FTP client simultaneously, I've double checked paths and directory structure and it still doesn't work!

I actually only want to import mail, in the FTP client window I can see the directory at /mail/site.com/mailboxname - but your script fails at scanning some other stuff and just won't let me check that "Only scan and import emails" box. It is somewhere in the next windows but I can't reach it.

This extension needs improvement.

I don't think you can import emails using the Site Import tool. It's for importing sites only. And yes I agree, the usage can be a bit frustrating when you have use specific values for connecting to the source server.

However, did you know there is an separate tool for importing email from mailboxes? It comes with the Site Import Extension. It requires IMAP to be able connect to source server. Works pretty well :)

That is not true. Uner /modules/site-import/index.php/mail-migration/index?dom_id=1&site_id=1 there is a dialog for mail import, and that is a part of the Site Import.

@nkomarov, exactly, thats what I am saying. Mail Import is a separate tool for importing email, that comes with the Site Import Extension. The Site Import tool itself however is only for importing websites (and databases).

Back