• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Site Restore is NOT a complete Restore with overwrites

blackcapsteve

New Pleskian
Hi
I am shocked, as this has changed what I thought was the way things worked.

I am hosting a Wordpress site on my server, not written by me, not maintained by me.

Had a call to say that there was an issue and could I help. Logged in and there was a dreadful redirect going on, and it was impossible to login to WP-admin.

So - I restored the site from a full backup for the day before - same problem.
So I restored the site from a full backup two weeks ago - same problem! Thats weird.. there was not an issue two weeks ago, not even last week.

I built an index.html file which said 'Maintenance in Progress etc.' to prevent visitors from being exposed to the redirect. I uploaded via FTP

I then restored from three weeks ago - Same problem! And not only that, but my html file was still in place!

This time I used SSH to delete ALL files/folders in httpdocs except my html

Then I restored again from one week ago - All worked fine after removing the still present html.

The restore does not write over the top of the current site, and therefore can leave current problems in place.

Am I the only one to be shocked and surpised by this?

regards

Steve

Back