• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Slave DNS Manager / zone may fail to transfer to slaves

georgee

New Pleskian
Hi,

Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS
Plesk Obsidian
Version 18.0.25 Update #2, last updated on April 9, 2020 10:05 PM

I found that after some update, my Slave DNS server stopped working properly.
There are no changes on the Slave DNS server.

We followed these instructions.

After configuration, everything worked, so I can't tell when it's not working.

We encountered a problem when configuring DNSSEC that no change would be written to the Slave DNS server.

Everything looks fine in Slave DNS Manager.

When resync all DNS zones, logs

Logs on the Slave DNS server
Apr 8 23:55:24 ns2 named[13684]: client @0x7f55100c7430 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx#63231: received notify for zone 'example2.com': not authoritative Apr 8 23:55:30 ns2 named[13684]: received control channel command 'refresh example2.com IN NS2' Apr 8 23:55:30 ns2 named[13684]: received control channel command 'addzone example2.com IN NS2 { type slave; file "example.com"; masters { xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx; }; };'

Slave DNS Server Ubuntu 18.04.1
Bind 9.11.3

We also tried to reinstall the Slave DNS Server, but without success, it does not work.
We went through a lot of discussions, but we didn't fix the problem.

Thank you for providing information on how to fix the problem

Hi georgee,

Logs on the Slave DNS server
Apr 8 23:55:24 ns2 named[13684]: client @0x7f55100c7430 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx#63231: received notify for zone 'example2.com': not authoritative

Have you tried to check/configure a primary name server for the zone? Usually, you need to select Plesk because it works as a master DNS and hosts zones. (this setting also available for DNS templates in the server-wide settings)

Attachments

• Primary DNS Server.png
    Primary DNS Server.png
    51.8 KB · Views: 44
Hi AYamshanov

Hi georgee,

Have you tried to check/configure a primary name server for the zone? Usually, you need to select Plesk because it works as a master DNS and hosts zones. (this setting also available for DNS templates in the server-wide settings)

Everything should be correct.
It worked at that time

I do not know when replication on DNS Slave Server stopped working.

I configured DNSSEC.
And when checking the functionality of DNSSEC, we found that replication on the DNS Slave Server is not working.

Thank you

Attachments

• Primary DNS server.jpg
    Primary DNS server.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 33
  • Primary DNS server - domain.jpg
    Primary DNS server - domain.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 30
It does sync some of them and does not sync some of them for me as well.
Most of the new domains after upgrade have dns related problems.

Reinstalling OS or Bind on DNS Server didn't help either.

In my case, Plesk does send some of the domains to the Slave DNS, but new ones are missing.
Only when I manually add them to 3bf305731dd26307.nzf file they start working, but before that, it's a mess and the automation does not work.

Last time this happened removing / re-adding slave dns extension did help. It's a pain but it looks like I will be periodically removing / adding Slave DNS extension and re-configuring it to make it work :/

It's weird that it works sometimes and suddenly does not.

Last edited:
Helped me Plesk support.

Here if you happen to have the same problem.
Answer from support

Im glad to inform that the issue with slave server is resolved. The error happened because the field view was filled out (in the Process when adding a new slave) with value NS2. This field (shown in the screenshot) should be blank. Otherwise it won't work.

inline1369354635.png

To fix it, I run the following query on db.

MariaDB [psa]> update ModuleSettings set value='' where value='NS2';

Now everyting is working fine on Master and Slave.

Back