• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved 2 VPS, custom nameservers, master slave help!

pysche

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian Version 18.0.50
Hi,

I have a question regarding configuration as I think I’m trying to do this back to front as new to this. I’ve got two VPS servers with IONOS where both are running on the latest Ubuntu and Plesk Obsidian.

• VPS 1: 12gb ram, 8 core Linux
  • VPS 2: 2gb ram 2 core Linux
I want to host my main domain on VPS2 with names servers such as ns1.mydomain.co.uk, and ns2.mydomain.co.uk but I also want to be able to allow my friends to just be able to point their domain registrars name servers by just entering ns1.mydomain.co.uk and ns2.mydomain.co.uk without any glue records.

After they’ve done that, I will create theirdomain.co.uk on VPS1 and create a website for them, but not give any access apart from mail.

I’m using IONOS also as the domain registrar for mydomain.co.uk, which requires you to have 2 separate VPS’s to be able to use custom name servers, so have entered both IP addresses as glue records with ns1.mydomain.co.uk with VPS2 IP and ns2.mydomain.co.uk with VPS1 IP. If using custom name servers with IONOS, you cannot add any more records thereafter.

What I’ve tried so far is setting up VPS2 as a master DNS Server, and VPS1 as slave (though not working yet)

On VPS1(Slave) I’ve entered the IP address of the VPS2 under Tools & Settings -> DNS Settings -> “Zone Transfer Restrictions” to the IP of VPS2(Master), and on theirdomain.co.uk switched to “SLAVE” and entered the primary DNS IP which is the IP of VPS2.

How can I get this to work, what’s the best way to do this and have I got this setup the wrong way around? As surely I’d need to create the domains on the VPS2 first, but the downside would be it also allocates webspace, ftp accounts and stuff I don’t want etc, it should just need DNS records only.

Help very much appreciated

Many thanks in advance!

Hi, Thanks for your reply, I had it kind of correct in the first place, and after some frustration and debugging it turned out port 53 was only open on TCP, and not both TCP & UDP! I also realised within Plesk you can create domains without hosting etc. I'm thinking I should write a tutorial because I could not find one anywhere for what I wanted to do, at least any that are step by step.

I have not understand correctely your query. But it is not needed to use glue records to point other domains to your server. On the registrars web site of each domain, you will find a setting where you can set the target of each domain. This is the page of our registrar:

o Use our nameservers

o Use custom nameservers

o No nameservers

You must only insert the ns1.to ns3.your domain name.com under use custom name servers. Set up the glue records is only needed on the registrar web site where is registered the name server .... the glue record is the IP number of the host were you have installed the name server domain.

in the registrars web page you can also set up different glue records for the name servers ... with this feture you can set up by example mirroir servers.

When you set up a new name server he will not be ready immediately. You must also first install the domain of the name server on the host.

If you have a server with PLESK on Ionos it is possible that your own name server do not work ifyou use an other (chiaper) registrar

Hi, Thanks for your reply, I had it kind of correct in the first place, and after some frustration and debugging it turned out port 53 was only open on TCP, and not both TCP & UDP! I also realised within Plesk you can create domains without hosting etc. I'm thinking I should write a tutorial because I could not find one anywhere for what I wanted to do, at least any that are step by step.
You just saved me!

I was trying to set up custom nameservers for IONOS and it just didn't work, after reading your post I checked and it happened that I also overlooked to make sure port 53 was set to TCP & UDP.

Thank you SOOO much!

Back