• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Slow Wordpress backend with low load

Epizefiri

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 22.04
Plesk version and microupdate number
obsidian
Hello there,
I've a VPS 8 CPUs 16GB of RAM with 2 WordPress and 2 Prestashop installations.

The backend of one of the WordPress installation is very slow, almost 10s to open a page. The frontend is faster, but I'm using a lot of caching strategies.

The load of the vps is around 1.
How comes that the website is so slow and the load is so low?

I already changed the WP_MEMORY_LIMIT (2GB) and the pm.max_children / pm.max_requests ( 50 each ). The website is using PHP 8.2

What would you do ?

Hello there,
I've a VPS 8 CPUs 16GB of RAM with 2 WordPress and 2 Prestashop installations.

The backend of one of the WordPress installation is very slow, almost 10s to open a page. The frontend is faster, but I'm using a lot of caching strategies.

The load of the vps is around 1.
How comes that the website is so slow and the load is so low?

I already changed the WP_MEMORY_LIMIT (2GB) and the pm.max_children / pm.max_requests ( 50 each ). The website is using PHP 8.2

What would you do ?

Setting the WP_MEMORY_LIMIT to 256MB (at first) and the pm.max.children back to default (10, if I am not mistaken).

In addition, set the max time out to 120 sec.

You are simply overloading the VPS with your current WP configuration and your VPS will use (read: try to use) the resources from the host upon which the VPS is installed : the host will not like that and delay all tasks or even assign less resources to the VPS ...... or, in some cases, shutdown the VPS.

Also, Prestashop is not the most efficiently coded "shop", so try to migrate these installation to another VPS and configure that (other) VPS in such an unique fashion that the VPS is optimally configured for Prestashop (read: the optimal config is different from that of WP).

Kind regards......

PS Do some hunting and debugging on the offending WP sites : it is highly likely that you have a couple of bad plugins.

Back