• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Smarthost - Second copy of psa?

SMTP daemons should never die and RBL timeouts should not cause SMTP daemons to shut down, that's all I know. I haven't ever seen it happen myself. If you don't use any RBL's it doesn't happen, but if you do it does?

If your DNS server(s) were down, or overloaded, yes that could happen. You want to run a local DNS server whenever you're playing around with things that do a lot of DNS lookups (awstats, webalizer, spamassassin, etc).

SMTP daemons should never die and RBL timeouts should not cause SMTP daemons to shut down, that's all I know. I haven't ever seen it happen myself. If you don't use any RBL's it doesn't happen, but if you do it does?

I'm not controlling anything personally, plesk is doing it all. In other words, I'm simply using the panel like any other admin. When I enable RBL, the SMTP server eventually dies. This has been the case for MANY versions now. I think it's a bug or something when you use more than one, it's the separator.

Anyhow, I'm trying just one RBL provider rather than multiples to see if the SMTP server will die. So far, so good, it's been hours but that doesn't mean much. It sometimes works for days then one day, I realize it's down and have to turn RBL off to get SMTP working again.

If your DNS server(s) were down, or overloaded, yes that could happen. You want to run a local DNS server whenever you're playing around with things that do a lot of DNS lookups (awstats, webalizer, spamassassin, etc).

I don't use the plesk DNS server, never have. I've always run external DNS servers and they are dedicated, not down or overloaded in any way. I hear what you're saying however and it's partly what I wondered about, not so much the DNS server but perhaps a time frame relationship between RBL lookups and the SMTP server.

Mike

Back