• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

SMTP authentication for 3rd party domains

K

kuhle

I have a customer whose domain is not currently hosted by us. They have to change their outgoing SMTP server address when they want to send emails from other places as they travel.

I would like to be able to offer them SMTP authentication if that is possible. Could I set up a sub-domain (e.g. relay.mydomain.com), set up an email address with any username and password and give this to them to use in the settings for "My Server Requires Authentication"?

Grateful for any view on how best this could be done.

Thank you for this response. Our servers are set up to carry out authentication for both POP3 and SMTP. We would not change this server-wide.

It would seem that a sub-domain would be the obvious way to achieve this, creating a single mail account with a username/password that will be used for SMTP authentication, and each user will have to put these details on their mail settings.

If everybody is given the same one then there is the problem about it being given to "undesirables". Otherwise, each person would have to be given their own one.

Well yes. You could set up a subdomain as a domain from plesk, create that mailname and you are good to go for sending.

If you make a proper dns set-up you can even recieve mails and later these can be synced with the "real" email from webmails fetch-mail.

Anyway this setup seems a bit strange and does not permit a good mail flow-- my opinion.

I TOTALLY agree with you regarding it not permitting a good mail flow. However, without this (and while keeping SMTP authentication), I can see little other option if we want to offer customers the SMTP authentication when they are not hosting their domain with us. I guess the answer is "swap host to us!!".

Back