• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

SMTP Authentication Problem! HELP!

Michael MacDonald

Basic Pleskian
Greetings:

We are in the middle of migrating from our 9.3 Plesk server to 10.3.1 server. Yesterday afternoon we started seeing errors in POP3 authentication. Users get the following error:

"The server responded: -ERR Server does not support PLAIN text authentication."

We have made no change to the server between when it was working and when it started to fail. IMAP does work and mail appears to be flowing.

When checking mail, I can see in the maillog that the client does attempt to authenticate. I can see the IP appear in the log, then nothing. I have searched in the forum and found some entries that are quite old and made some suggestions about updating certain qmail modules.

I did find that I can pull mail if my POP3 client is set to use SSL (port 995). I don't want to enable this without notifying the user community of the change.

How can this be disabled?

Please let me know if you have any suggestions on fixing or troubleshooting this problem.

Last edited:
Hi,

No idea how it got in this state (possibly you've been using the pci-compliance resolver which may cause it? No idea as i don't use it), but assuming you're on RHEL/Centos check in your /etc/courier-imap/pop3d file that you have the following line :

POP3AUTH="LOGIN CRAM-MD5 PLAIN"

If its something different then comment it out and add the one above and restart courier-imap :

service courier-imap restart

Paul.

Thank you

Your suggestion worked perfectly. THANK YOU.

I honestly don't know how the change happened. PCI compliance is on my to-do list. Other than my firewall, I have not started down that path yet.

I appreciate your time and support on this.

Have a good day.

Back