• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Software updates and restart of server

brownbag

Basic Pleskian
I'm just setting up my first plesk server on Ubuntu and it's in test/demo mode. I've applied software updates once and it was nice and simple.

But I presume that some software updates (such as an upgrade to a new Ubuntu version) would require a reboot or a restart of some essential services. How do I know the requirements for such an upgrade?

I'll need to inform my customers before applying such an upgrade so need to know before I upgrade software if any services will be unavailable for a period of time.

Indeed, the restart of some services may be required when upgrading. But usually, it takes very little time, downtime is very short. It all depends on the number of sites or mailboxes. In hundreds, it can reach several minutes, no more.

Is there any way to know if a restart of a server or a key service will occur when you upgrade? If I've got customers in different timezones, I can't just do an upgrade at nighttime.

Back