• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

[SOLVED] '/usr/share/mysql/english/errmsg.sys' had only 474 error messages'

P

porkchop

This is an information post for posterity, in case anyone else runs into this problem.

Situation:
CentOS 4, Plesk 8.20, php+mysql 4.x Client wants 5.x of both on his server.

I ran yum update php (BTW it also upgraded mysql, much to my surprise!). Subsequently, I found that mysql was not running, so I went to restart it - no luck. Checking /var/log/ mysqld.log showed the following:
080201 23:09:21 mysqld started
080201 23:09:21 [ERROR] Error message file '/usr/share/mysql/english/errmsg.sys' had only 474 error messages,
but it should contain at least 476 error messages.
Check that the above file is the right version for this program!
080201 23:09:21 [ERROR] Aborting

080201 23:09:21 mysqld ended

Apparently, the file 'errmsg.sys' didn't update along with everything else.
I downloaded this file:
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/centosplus/SRPMS/mysql-5.0.54-1.el4.centos.src.rpm
and opened it using 'mc' (Midnight Commander) file manager, & navigated to
sql/share/english, and copied the errmsg.sys file to /usr/share/mysql/english. (noting first that the source file was in fact larger than the old errmsg.sys file which was encouraging)

Restarted mysql while tailing the mysqld logfile, and mysql started cleanly.

This post was the framework I followed to implement the solution,
http://itsworking.co.uk/blog/index.php/2007/11/29/yum-update-broke-mysql/
although I needed the latest rpm, whereas that post was written back in November last year and referenced an earlier version (5.0.48) and I figured - correctly as things turned out - that I prolly needed the latest version which yum had most likely installed, (or tried to install!) which was 5.0.54.

That's basically it. I hope this helps someone somewhere.

/porky

Back