• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

spam / chkrootkit

T

tmartin@

Hi all,

I'm new to Plesk and Linux so please bear with me....I recently installed Plesk in a Virtuozzo VPS using CentOS 3.3 as the OS. A few days after I installed Plesk, I was flooded with 60,000+ spam messages. Since then I've been using Google for a crash course in spam prevention. I decided to post this article for two reasons. First, I need some advice as to whether or not I've covered my bases as far as spam is concerned. I'm also a little worried about a couple of warnings chkrootkit is giving me. (see below) Lastly, I thought reading this and any followups by more experienced administrators might help someone else in my position. Here's what I've done so far.

I 'cleaned' the queue using the instructions at http://kb.swsoft.com/article_22_252_en.html. I had to download the psa-qmail and drweb-qmail rpms for my version of Plesk from atomicrocketturtle.com.

I enabled Server > mail > Maps using the following zones:

sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org;opm.blitzed.org

I set Server > mail > Relaying to 'closed'
I think requiring authorization is probably sufficient and more realistic, but I'm a little paranoid right now.

I set the remote timeout value in /var/qmail/control/timeoutremote to 40

I set the queue lifetime to 3600 seconds in the file
/var/qmail/control/queuelifetime

Running /var/qmail/bin/qmail-qstat gives:
messages in queue: 1229
messages in queue but not yet preprocessed: 0

That's much better, but I'm wondering if there's more that I can do.

Also, and perhaps more importantly, I downloaded three programs to help me in the future.

qmhandle
http://sourceforge.net/projects/qmhandle

rootkit
http://www.rootkit.nl/

chkrootkit
http://www.chkrootkit.org/

rootkit did not find anything, but I receive the following when I run chkrootkit

Checking `bindshell'... INFECTED (PORTS: 465)
Checking `lkm'... You have 1 process hidden for readdir command
You have 1 process hidden for ps command
chkproc: Warning: Possible LKM Trojan installed

I receive the 'lkm' error everytime I run chkconfig. I googled these errors. The bindshell INFECTED (PORTS: 465) appears to be a common false positive. When I run

lsof -Pni | grep 465

I receive the following

xinetd 11433 root 17u IPv4 11424584 TCP *:465 (LISTEN)

I'm assuming this is normal, but I'm not really sure. The sites I've seen that talk about the 'lkm' warning are mixed about whether or not this is a legitimate Trojan.

Any advice on my spam prevention measures / chkrootkit errors are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Troy

you are right that

Checking `bindshell'... INFECTED (PORTS: 465)

is often a false possitive, but

Checking `lkm'... You have 1 process hidden for readdir command
You have 1 process hidden for ps command

seems to be real errors!

I ran the command

./chkrootkit -x lkm

twice and received the following each time

ROOTDIR is `/'
###
### Output of: ./chkproc -v -v -p 1
###
PID 9924(/proc/9924): not in readdir output
PID 9924: not in ps output
CWD 9924: /
EXE 9924: /sbin/init
PID 32549(/proc/32549): not in readdir output
PID 32549: not in ps output
CWD 32549: /
EXE 32549: /
You have 2 process hidden for readdir command
You have 2 process hidden for ps command

Any idea on how I can investigate this further?

Thanks,

Troy

Additional Errors

I don't receive any errors at all when I run rootkit. However, I've been running chkrootkit over and over, and now something new popped up. Here's the error.

./chkrootkit -q

/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/.packlist

INFECTED (PORTS: 465)
You have 2 process hidden for readdir command
You have 2 process hidden for ps command
/proc/31525/fd/0: Permission denied
/proc/31525/fd/1: Permission denied
/proc/31525/fd/2: Permission denied
The tty of the following user process(es) were not found
in /var/run/utmp !
! RUID PID TTY CMD