• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

SpamAssassin seems not to work, no spam is being detected

King555

Regular Pleskian
Since SpamAssassin is free since the latest Plesk version, I enabled this feature. And the service is running, I let Watchdog check it.

BUT: I'm under the impression, that the spam filter does not work properly, because until now nothing was detected as spam (and some mails were obviously spam).

I configured the following things under Start > Tools & settings > Spam filter settings: (please note: I use the German language pack and all phrases were translated and might not be accurate)

Activate server-wide SpamAssassin filter = ON
(Activate server-wide greylisting filter = ON)
Individual settings for spam filter = OFF

Maximum number of spamd processes = 5
Score to declare message as spam = 7.00
Put this to the beginning of the mail subject = *****SPAM******

The last three settings are the default values. I disabled individual settings, because I do not want to enable the spam filter for each domain separately.

So the question is, why does the spam protection not work with these settings? Or may it be, that with "Individual settings = OFF" mails are deleted instantly, if they are spam? When I set it to ON, I can choose per domain (or mail account) what should happen with detected spam mails (e.g. delete, put text in subject etc).

Now I enabled the individual settings for the spam filter and enabled it for every mail account separately.

And now it works!

So Plesk seems to have a bug!

(Debian x64, Plesk 10.4.4 MU16)

SpamAssassin

SpamAssassin configurations are actually tricky do the following

Plesk 10.4 Go to Server Management ->Tools & Settings -> Mail -> Server-Wide Mail Settings

Antivirus Settings

used antivirus -> Parallels Premium Antivirus

Switch on SPF Spam Protection
spf checking mode: Only create Received -SPF headers, never block
spf local rules: v=spf1 a mx ip4: enter your i.p address here ~all

Switch on spam protection based on DNS Blackhole lists
sbl.spamhaus.org;zen.spam

On the Spam Filter settings tab

click all three check marks
the max number of worker spamd process to run (1)
the score that a message must receive to qualify as spam (5.00)
add the following text to the beginning of each subject : *****SPAM******

-Chris

But do I still need the spam protection based on DNS Blackhole lists when using SpamAssassin?

At this moment I have the following entries:
cbl.abuseat.org;sbl.spamhaus.org;xbl.spamhaus.org

But it seems, that SpamAssassin itself already checks some DNSBLs.

I made these entries years ago, when I did not use SpamAssassin.

Does anyone has an idea concerning post #4 (DNS Blackhole lists together with Spam Assassin)?

Back