• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

spamassassin start problem - freebsd

T

ThE-KinG

Spamassassin is always giving this error, on ssh

Code:
root# /usr/local/psa/rc.d/psa-spamassassin start
Can't locate Text/Iconv.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6/i386-freebsd /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/i386-freebsd /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6 /usr/local/psa/lib/perl5/5.8.6 /usr/local/psa/lib/perl5/5.8.6/i386-freebsd /usr/local/psa/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/i386-freebsd /usr/local/psa/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl) at /usr/local/psa/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/Mail/SpamAssassin/CmdManage.pm line 8.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/local/psa/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/Mail/SpamAssassin/CmdManage.pm line 8.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/spammng line 71.

When I try to start via plesk, it gives this error,

Code:
Unable to make action: Unable to manage service by spamd: Empty error message from utility.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0: /usr/local/psa/admin/htdocs/server/restart_services.php:19 psaerror(string "Unable to make action: Unable to manage service by spamd: Empty error message from utility.")

So how can I fix this error? I am using freeBSD 5.3 and Plesk 7.5.3

Thank you so much.

You're missing the Text::Iconv Perl module - but don't worry - everyone else with a standard FreeBSD install w/Perl 5.8.6 is missing it too. lol.

Plesk forgot to include it in the FreeBSD distribution of Plesk perl modules. Yes, this means that Plesk / SpamAssassin does not work out of the box on FreeBSD 5 and Plesk 7.5.3 unless you manually install this module (how's that for quality control testing? hehehe)

Anyway, you can install it this way:

www# cpan
Terminal does not support AddHistory.

cpan shell -- CPAN exploration and modules installation (v1.7601)
ReadLine support available (try 'install Bundle::CPAN')

cpan> install Text::Iconv

You'll have to run through manual configuration of CPAN if you've never used it before, but that only takes a minute or two; it's easy. You can hit enter on pretty much any prompt you dont know the answer to (except when choosing the download server list). I suggest choosing "follow" instead of "ask" when deciding how to handle prerequisites.

Otherwise you can retrieve it directly from the CPAN repository:

http://search.cpan.org/search?query=Text::Iconv&mode=all

Hello jshanley,

Thank you for your help. I have install Text::Iconv successfully.

Code:
CPAN: Storable loaded ok
LWP not available
CPAN: Net::FTP loaded ok
Fetching with Net::FTP:
  [url]ftp://ftp.perl.org/pub/CPAN/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz[/url]
Going to read /root/.cpan/sources/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz
LWP not available
  [url]ftp://ftp.perl.org/pub/CPAN/modules/02packages.details.txt.gz[/url]
Going to read /root/.cpan/sources/modules/02packages.details.txt.gz
  Database was generated on Thu, 26 May 2005 08:57:16 GMT
  HTTP::Date not available
LWP not available
  [url]ftp://ftp.perl.org/pub/CPAN/modules/03modlist.data.gz[/url]
Going to read /root/.cpan/sources/modules/03modlist.data.gz
Going to write /root/.cpan/Metadata
Running install for module Text::Iconv
Running make for M/MP/MPIOTR/Text-Iconv-1.4.tar.gz
LWP not available
  [url]ftp://ftp.perl.org/pub/CPAN/authors/id/M/MP/MPIOTR/Text-Iconv-1.4.tar.gz[/url]
CPAN: Digest::MD5 loaded ok
LWP not available
  [url]ftp://ftp.perl.org/pub/CPAN/authors/id/M/MP/MPIOTR/CHECKSUMS[/url]
Checksum for /root/.cpan/sources/authors/id/M/MP/MPIOTR/Text-Iconv-1.4.tar.gz ok
Scanning cache /root/.cpan/build for sizes
x Text-Iconv-1.4/
x Text-Iconv-1.4/t/
x Text-Iconv-1.4/t/01_charsets.t
x Text-Iconv-1.4/t/00_load.t
x Text-Iconv-1.4/Iconv.xs
x Text-Iconv-1.4/Changes
x Text-Iconv-1.4/Iconv.pm
x Text-Iconv-1.4/MANIFEST
x Text-Iconv-1.4/typemap
x Text-Iconv-1.4/Makefile.PL
x Text-Iconv-1.4/README

CPAN.pm: Going to build M/MP/MPIOTR/Text-Iconv-1.4.tar.gz

Checking for iconv ... ok (added -liconv)

NOTE: If you have multiple iconv implementations installed, you might
      want to make sure that I've found the one you want to use.
      If necessary, you can explicitly specify paths like this:

/usr/bin/perl Makefile.PL LIBS='-L/path/to/lib' INC='-I/path/to/include'

Checking if your kit is complete...
Looks good
Writing Makefile for Text::Iconv
cp Iconv.pm blib/lib/Text/Iconv.pm
AutoSplitting blib/lib/Text/Iconv.pm (blib/lib/auto/Text/Iconv)
/usr/bin/perl /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6/ExtUtils/xsubpp  -typemap /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.
6/ExtUtils/typemap -typemap typemap  Iconv.xs > Iconv.xsc && mv Iconv.xsc Iconv.
c
cc -c    -DHAS_FPSETMASK -DHAS_FLOATINGPOINT_H -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -I/usr
/local/include -O    -DVERSION=\"1.4\"  -DXS_VERSION=\"1.4\" -DPIC -fPIC "-I/usr
/lib/perl5/5.8.6/i386-freebsd/CORE"   Iconv.c
Running Mkbootstrap for Text::Iconv ()
chmod 644 Iconv.bs
rm -f blib/arch/auto/Text/Iconv/Iconv.so
LD_RUN_PATH="/usr/local/lib" cc  -shared  -L/usr/local/lib Iconv.o  -o blib/arch
/auto/Text/Iconv/Iconv.so   -liconv
chmod 755 blib/arch/auto/Text/Iconv/Iconv.so
cp Iconv.bs blib/arch/auto/Text/Iconv/Iconv.bs
chmod 644 blib/arch/auto/Text/Iconv/Iconv.bs
Manifying blib/man3/Text::Iconv.3
  /usr/bin/make  -- OK
Running make test
PERL_DL_NONLAZY=1 /usr/bin/perl "-MExtUtils::Command::MM" "-e" "test_harness(0,
'blib/lib', 'blib/arch')" t/*.t
t/00_load........ok
t/01_charsets....ok
        6/13 skipped: various reasons
All tests successful, 6 subtests skipped.
Files=2, Tests=14,  0 wallclock secs ( 0.02 cusr +  0.00 csys =  0.02 CPU)
  /usr/bin/make test -- OK
Running make install
Installing /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/i386-freebsd/auto/Text/Iconv/Iconv.so
Installing /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/i386-freebsd/auto/Text/Iconv/Iconv.bs
Files found in blib/arch: installing files in blib/lib into architecture depende
nt library tree
Installing /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/i386-freebsd/Text/Iconv.pm
Installing /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/i386-freebsd/auto/Text/Iconv/autosplit
.ix
Installing /usr/share/man/man3/Text::Iconv.3
Writing /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/i386-freebsd/auto/Text/Iconv/.packlist
Appending installation info to /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6/i386-freebsd/perllocal.pod
  /usr/bin/make install  -- OK

And then now, when I want to start spamassassin, I gives this error below,

Code:
Can't locate HTML/Parser.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6/i386-fr
eebsd /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/i386-freebsd /usr/lib/
perl5/site_perl/5.8.6 /usr/local/psa/lib/perl5/5.8.6 /usr/local/psa/lib/perl5/5.
8.6/i386-freebsd /usr/local/psa/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/i386-freebsd /usr/loca
l/psa/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl) at /usr/local/psa/lib/
perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/Mail/SpamAssassin/HTML.pm line 7.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/local/psa/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/Ma
il/SpamAssassin/HTML.pm line 7.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/local/psa/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/Mail/S
pamAssassin/PerMsgStatus.pm line 42.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/local/psa/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/Ma
il/SpamAssassin/PerMsgStatus.pm line 42.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/local/psa/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/Mail/S
pamAssassin.pm line 62.
il/SpamAssassin.pm line 62.
pamAssassin/CmdManage.pm line 12.
il/SpamAssassin/CmdManage.pm line 12.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/spammng line 71.
Plesk: failed to start SpamAssassin

Please share your advice. Thank you soooo much.

Code:
root# /usr/local/psa/rc.d/psa-spamassassin start
Plesk: SpamAssassin has been started

Thank you very very much, jshanley.

No problem. While you're using CPAN, you might want to go ahead and install some other perl modules. SpamAssassin doesn't require them to run, but it will use them if they exist (so SpamAssassin is more effective if they're installed).

You can get the list of modules I like to install, here ... just scroll down a tiny bit and you should see the list.

-J

Originally posted by jshanley
You're missing the Text::Iconv Perl module - but don't worry - everyone else with a standard FreeBSD install w/Perl 5.8.6 is missing it too. lol.

Plesk forgot to include it in the FreeBSD distribution of Plesk perl modules. Yes, this means that Plesk / SpamAssassin does not work out of the box on FreeBSD 5 and Plesk 7.5.3 unless you manually install this module (how's that for quality control testing? hehehe)

Thanks for your notes here. I was simply testing FreeBSD + Plesk to see how well it works.

Like you though, I am very confused on how SWSoft could test this and not come to the conclusion that something is not broken.

Once I finished installing Plesk on FreeBSD, the first thing I did was login, went to Service Management to see if everything launched correctly and immediatly discovered something was wrong with SpamAssassin and Perl...

Does this mean that SWSoft didn't even do that much? It's making me a little nervous!

Back