• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Spamassissin and PLESK PREMIUM mail agent

JayStock

New Pleskian
I am using the PLESK PREMIUM mail agent, in addition to Spamassissin on the server level. It is my understanding that training Spamassissin is simply moving a SPAM EMAIL to the SPAM FOLDER of the Plesk Premium Mail Agent. Is that it? Does spamassissin parse all the emails in that folder and use them in the training process? Do I have to enable or configure anything, or does simply moving the spam email in the SPAM FOLDER SUFFICIENT?
Once in the spam folder can I ultimately delete the email?
Thank you.

Hi JayStock,

Does spamassissin parse all the emails in that folder and use them in the training process?
Yes, that is correct. But "spamtraining" will not be done immidiately.

Pls. have a look at for example:

... which should answer your questions. Pls. feel free to ask additional questions, if the above mentioned links don't already answered all of your questions. :)

Thank you for your response. I am very familiar with the SA-LEARN command, I was trying to avoid using that route. I wanted to train spamassissin from within the plesk premium mail.

So if I move the spam to the SPAM FOLDER of the Premium Plesk Mail, do I then have to invoke the sa-learn command, or is it automatic?

Still unclear about my question
Does simply moving the spam email in the SPAM FOLDER SUFFICIENT?

You say " But "spamtraining" will not be done immediately"
What does that mean not done immediately?

Thank you again for your quick responses.

Hi JayStock,

I'm a bit surprised, that you didn't seem to read the very detailed documentation, but o.k. ... here you go with the answers to your questions:

You say " But "spamtraining" will not be done immediately"
What does that mean not done immediately?
Quoted from: => How to train SpamAssassin?
Automatically:
  • There is the utility spamtrain in Plesk which is executed during the Daily Maintenance Task. spamtrain launches sa-learn for each mailbox with enabled SpamAssassin.

Still unclear about my question
Does simply moving the spam email in the SPAM FOLDER SUFFICIENT?
Yes, as the so called "spam" - folders"/var/qmail/mailnames/YOUR-DOMAIN.COM/YOUR-EMAIL-ACCOUNT-NAME/Maildir/.Spam" ( "/cur/" and "/new/" ) exist at all eMail - accounts, where Spamassassin has been enabled for, just like the so called "ham" - folders "/var/qmail/mailnames/YOUR-DOMAIN.COM/YOUR-EMAIL-ACCOUNT-NAME/Maildir" ( "/cur/" and "/new/" ).

So if I move the spam to the SPAM FOLDER of the Premium Plesk Mail, do I then have to invoke the sa-learn command, or is it automatic?
Again, I would like to point you to the documentation:
Automatically:
  • There is the utility spamtrain in Plesk which is executed during the Daily Maintenance Task. spamtrain launches sa-learn for each mailbox with enabled SpamAssassin.
As you can see, Plesk already has a DAILY MAINTENCANCE script, which will be processed each day with the help of a crontab on your server, where "spamtraining" has been included. WHEN the script will be executed, depends on your scheduled crontab on your server.

To check my answer, pls. use the example command ( logged in as user "root" over SSH ):
Code:
/usr/local/psa/bin/sw-engine-pleskrun /opt/psa/admin/plib/DailyMaintainance/script.php -l
... and check your file "/etc/crontab", where the daily "anacron" - jobs are listed. The corresponding commands, which are executed, can be found at your cron - folders at "/etc".

Back