• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

SPAMDOPTIONS location?

ylon

Basic Pleskian
I am having some issues where I need to limit the number of spamd children and have been unsuccessful at finding where I can define options for SPAMDOPTIONS. Can someone please direct as to where/how one can go about doing this as things do not appear to be quite in their standard locations with Plesk.

**Edit: I wanted to note that it seems that it would be as simple as adding "-m 5" to the end of the init line, for example, in /etc/init.d/psa-spamassassin start section, just tack on a -m 5, HOWEVER this appears to not work since this spamd is just a link to a "wrapper" binary image. What does one do?

Probably you want this file:

bash-2.05b# cat /etc/sysconfig/spamassassin
# Options to spamd
SPAMDOPTIONS="-d -c -a -m5 -H"
bash-2.05b#

Even though /etc/sysconfig/spamassassin is currently nonexistent adding this will cause it to read the file and apply those settings?

*Note: I did add this file, ran `/etc/init.d/psa-spamassassin stop` then start and it did not change anything. I did notice however that the following process is running which shows the number of max children (somehow it is doubling):

popuser 25484 0.0 18.0 28492 22636 ? S 15:40 0:01 /usr/bin/spamd --username=popuser --daemonize --helper-home-dir=/var/qmail --max-children 20 --create-prefs --nouser-config --virtual-config-dir=/var/qmail/mailnames/%d/%l --pidfile=/var/run/spamd_light.pid --socketpath=/tmp/spamd_light.sock --siteconfigpath=/dev/null

Well, still looking for some input from someone who knows how to permanently modify the spamd/spamassassin behavior, but I thought I'd post a very temporary thing that I did just to try to revive my dying server.

I simply did a `sudo killall spamd` and then reran the spamd process as the appropriate user with one change to the number of children allowed:

/usr/bin/spamd --username=popuser --daemonize --helper-home-dir=/var/qmail --max-children 5 --create-prefs --nouser-config --virtual-config-dir=/var/qmail/mailnames/%d/%l --pidfile=/var/run/spamd_light.pid --socketpath=/tmp/spamd_light.sock --siteconfigpath=/dev/null

As I said, this is just a temp fix, I would very much appreciate it if someone could tell me where to change the options so that I do not have this issue any more in the future after reboots and such.

Same old problem

Hello,

I am currently running Plesk 8.2.0, and have the same problem. I would like to increase the number of children of Spam Assassin, and modifying the /etc/sysconfig/spamassassin file is useless.

==> ps | grep spamd
popuser 15724 1 0 16:43 ? 00:00:00 /usr/bin/spamd --username=popuser --daemonize --nouser-config --helper-home-dir=/var/qmail --max-children 1 --create-prefs --virtual-config-dir=/var/qmail/mailnames/%d/%l/.spamassassin --pidfile=/var/run/spamd/spamd_full.pid --socketpath=/tmp/spamd_full.sock

==> cat /etc/sysconfig/spamassassin
# Options to spamd
SPAMDOPTIONS="-d -c -H -s local1 --max-children=5"

There has to be a way to configure this... Anyone who knows how to achieve this?

Thanks

Re: Same old problem

Originally posted by jcortina
Hello,

I am currently running Plesk 8.2.0, and have the same problem. I would like to increase the number of children of Spam Assassin, and modifying the /etc/sysconfig/spamassassin file is useless.

==> ps | grep spamd
popuser 15724 1 0 16:43 ? 00:00:00 /usr/bin/spamd --username=popuser --daemonize --nouser-config --helper-home-dir=/var/qmail --max-children 1 --create-prefs --virtual-config-dir=/var/qmail/mailnames/%d/%l/.spamassassin --pidfile=/var/run/spamd/spamd_full.pid --socketpath=/tmp/spamd_full.sock

==> cat /etc/sysconfig/spamassassin
# Options to spamd
SPAMDOPTIONS="-d -c -H -s local1 --max-children=5"

There has to be a way to configure this... Anyone who knows how to achieve this?

Thanks

Same Problem here. Where's the config file for plesk-spamd? (It's not /etc/sysconfig/spamassassin !) :(

Aside from setting it to 1-5 through Plesk directly, this works to set it to an arbitrary number (only tested on 8.2.1) (Use at your own risk):

Code:
echo "UPDATE misc SET val = '15' WHERE param = 'spamfilter_max_children'" | mysql -uadmin -p`cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow` --database=psa

service psa-spamassassin restart

Fix (or at least part of one)

After opening a thread over at atomiccorp.com I finally figured this out over there and thought I would post the information I found out here, as it may be helpful to someone in the future.

psa-spamassassin reads its options from the psa database in mysql. Changing max children can be done there by simply updating the variable spamfilter_max_children and then restarting spamassassin.

However, there were no options in there for log file, debugging etc. - I guess the folks at Plesk figure we don't or would not possibly need them.

Anyway, to get the log to go where I needed it I did the following:

vi /usr/bin/spamd

:s/spamd.log - that gets you near the default logging definition
find and change my $log_facility = $opt{'syslog'} || 'mail'; to my $log_facility = $opt{'syslog'} || 'file';
a few lines down from there:
find and change my $log_file = "spamd.log"; to my $log_file = "full path and filename of where you want the log"; (make sure that popuser can write to it)

This will continue to work until spamassassin or psa-spamassassin gets updated, then you need to do it again.

As for other options that plesk sets you can do the following:

ps -AF |grep spamd and see what options plesk starts spamd with, those you probably can't modify (well you could, but you would really have to hack on spamd)

I would suspect you could modify spamd to simply default to any other options you might need to run.

Another way to modify how it runs (at least until a psa-spamassassin restart is):
ps -AF |grep spamd
You will get something like:
/usr/bin/spamd --username=popuser --daemonize --nouser-config --helper-home-dir=/var/qmail --max-children 7 --create-prefs --virtual-config-dir=/var/qmail/mailnames/%d/%l/.spamassassin --pidfile=/var/run/spamd/spamd_full.pid --socketpath=/tmp/spamd_full.sock

Then you can simply do a killall -9 spamd

Then paste the command line back out there with your additional or replacement options and restart it. In my case, I simply wanted to start it with --debug=all to check on another problem so I pasted this:

/usr/bin/spamd --username=popuser --daemonize --nouser-config --helper-home-dir=/var/qmail --max-children 7 --create-prefs --virtual-config-dir=/var/qmail/mailnames/%d/%l/.spamassassin --pidfile=/var/run/spamd/spamd_full.pid --socketpath=/tmp/spamd_full.sock --debug=all

and it works great.

I found out that having:
--virtual-config-dir=/var/qmail/mailnames/%d/%l/.spamassassin
will create lots of bayes_??? files if bayes is enabled- -- and getting to be huge in size -- in every mailbox..
Perhaps it's best to avoid per-user spamassassin directories altogether?
-t

Btw, changing the spamassassin settings from PLESK has the effect of deleting the /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf and replacing with a 2-liner.
you may wish to back up your local.cf file against its wrath before doing any changes to that page in PLESK.

Back