• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Split DNS Issue with Virtual Host

Marc_Ta

New Pleskian
Definitely a newbie here trying to figure out virtual hosting, so I appreciate any help you can provide. Running Plesk Panel 10.3.1 on Linux server. My client has an old web server that needs to continue serving their website until the new one is finished, but the email needs to be transitioned over immediately (i.e. split DNS with all mail on my sever and the website on theirs).

Currently the client's domain name is pointed to my VPS' IP.

I modified the DNS entries in the Plesk control panel for my client's domain to leave mail on my VPS, but repoint the web to another server:
HostRecord typeValue
myclient.com.NSns.myclient.com.
*.myclient.com.Aclient.server.ip.address <--added new record with old client IP
myclient.com.Aclient.server.ip.address <--changed current record to old client IP
ipv4.myclient.com.Amy.vps.server.ip.address
mail.myclient.com.Amy.vps.server.ip.address
ns.myclient.com.Amy.vps.server.ip.address
webmail.myclient.com.Amy.vps.server.ip.address
www.myclient.com. Aclient.server.ip.address <--modified from cname record and changed to old client IP
*.webmail.myclient.com.CNAMEmyclient.com
ftp.myclient.com.CNAMEmyclient.com.
myclient.com.MX (10)mail.myclient.com.
my.vps.server.ip.address / 24PTRmyclient.com.
myclient.com. TXTv=spf1 +a +mx -all

Results
Mail - works great...no issues currently with email on my VPS.
WWW - still pointing at my HTTPDOCS and displaying the new website...not the old website on their server. It's like the DNS entries are being overlooked/overridden.

Issue
Based on the DNS changes, I would expect any web call the my client.com to hit my VPS, look at the DNS record here and jump out to my client's old IP for the web

Any help clarifying if what I describe is even possible with virtual name hosting, and if so, what I'm probably doing wrong would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Back