• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue SSL adding I simply cant do it...

newbie90

New Pleskian
Hello,

Im getting frustrated as **** (sorry my french). Im new into Plesk and Websites and stuff. I want to add SSL to my site. I purchased a SSL Key or whatever its called, on the same Webhoster that I use Plesk on.
They send me back 2 files. One is called: "servercertificate.pem" the other simply just "certificate.pem".

If I go do: "WebsiteDomain/SSL..." I see see those 2 uploade spotts. When I upload one of those files it says: "couldnt find fitting private key". So I asked my Webhost about it and they said I need to upload the key I already have (on the webhos site itself). I checked it and I have this: One "certificate simply writting down in text format and one "root certificate also written down in text format". Nothing to download here.

So what I have to do with those 4 files? I have 0 idea. I googled it and tried to do it myself but I simply cant.

I thank you in advance for help.

Yes I did. If I upload those 2 pem files (which I have 0 clue in which order but I uploaded in all variables possible lol) I get this error: "the private key format is invalid"...

A .pem file contains different components, maybe it includes the private key, the certificate and the certificate chain all in one file.

I suggest to use a text editor and open the .pem file. Look for the "private key" section in that file, it is probably there. Save this separately to use in the "private key" section of Plesk. Place the other segements into their corresponding fields in Plesk.

Both files do not have a private key (or it doenst say it. They both start with "begin certificate" and end with "end certificate"....

In order to create a certificate signing request (CSR) you must have had a private key. It is not possible to create a CSR without. So before you had sent your web hoster your request to sign your certificate you must have had the private key. That is the key that needs to go into the private key field of Plesk.

After your had submitted your CSR to your web hoster (SSL trust center) they should have returned a certificate file and a certificate chain file. These will only work together with the decrypted private key, because that is what encryption is all about. So you must now have three components:
1) private key
2) certificate
3) certificate chain
If one of these is missing, the certificate will not work.

You will need to find out where your private key is stored. You must have had it to create the CSR, so you will probably able to find it.

Back