• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

SSL certificates

JohanSki

Basic Pleskian
Hello,

I run a VPS with Plesk 12. Can I set SSL certificates for all the domains on this VPS?

I don't need to know how to do it (yet). I'm just wondering if it is possible.

(I have 2 IP addresses to my VPS. I was told the second one was for SSL, but I'm not sure if I need it?)

Yes, you definitely can. However SSL certificate traditionally requires separate IP for a domain.
So unless you have dedicated IP for each of your domains, you will need to employ one of those approaches:
- rely on so called SNI technology (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Name_Indication). It enables SSL certificate for each domain even if they don't have dedicated IPs. But it is not supported in some older browsers (particularly IE on WinXP). The technology is fully supported in Plesk - you don't need to do anything extra.
- rely on wildcard- or multiname- certificates. Some certificates can cover multiple names either via wildcards (*.domain.com) or by listing multiple names. In this case one IP will be enough for SSL of several domains

Regards

Thank you Sergey. Then I will have to rely on the SNI technology. For now it is good to know it is possible.

Back