• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

SSL Installation

danallen1

Basic Pleskian
Why isn't this easy?

That is my question.

The easy part was paying out money. There is a link in plesk for obtaining ssl cert. I clicked it. It gave me a list of cert providers, I picked one. I filled out their form it took money from my bank, Then it sent mail containg four certificates. The guide to plesk says to load the cert to the repository. How was I supposed to know which of the four to load. So I got contacted tech support at the ssl issue, and they toid me which one to load. So Ioaded that one to the repository. Then the directions said to select the certificate I used to order the cert, and click Secure Plesk. I did that and the thing sat there like it was done. I ran an ssl check and and it said I have a self-signed ssl, not what I just bought.

Where in that sequence did I become the idiot doing the wrong thing. This should be idiot proof Why is it so difficult>?

Hi danallen1,

if you choosed to secure your Plesk Control Panel, then only port 8443 is secured with the corresponding domain and the choosen certificate. Please take a moment and read the very informative documentation for your process:

The whole processes are not really complicated, if you are already aware about the different files, that you received from your SSL - certificate provider and there are only a few clicks, to reach your goals, but it is much easier to understand a process, if you add, remove, assign your new certificate(s) a few times, to get used to the process and the steps to reach your goals. And after adding, removing, assigning the certificate one more time, I'm pretty sure, that you have to admit, that it is easier and faster, as you are actually declaring it right now.

Thank you for responding. This is how I think plesk should make this work.
  1. Select a domain for ssl.
  2. Click.
  3. Pay.
  4. When the email comes from the CA, to authenticate the request for cert, click the link
  5. Cert is installed automatically
why not?

Hi danallen1,

... because the different certificate authorities don't have a standart, HOW they supply their certificates. There is no standart name for public key, private key, ca-root - certificate and ca-intermediate- certificate and you may use ".cer", ".crt", ".pem" and bundles - this all depends on your system, the decoding and your unique modification(s). Plesk can't guess all that.

What if a CA came to plesk and said, "we have developed a system that run on plesk that support this. We would like you to consider offering it to your customers. It works great..." and they demo it and sure enough it's all automatic. We have partnered with RapidSSL.

Are you saying that could not be done?

My question is could a CA do that, technically? It wouldn't work for every single plesk setup ,but they could test for that when the cert is ordered.

Back