• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Stable yet?

D

dahamsta

in your opinion, is Plesk 8 stable enough to install on a mission critical machine yet? I've put off installing because of SWsoft's insistence on rolling out beta-quality updates, and put off and put off and put off. Am I safe at this stage?

adam

No.
I've had to supliment various "fixes" from third-party developers such as ART to take the place of **** released by sw-soft that they themselves won't fix (read: psa-spamassassin).
There is nothing in 8.x that you need or depend on that you can not get with 7.5.4. Don't force **** on your customers if you're stable right now.
Especially with the risk of it screwing up your boot config, and their delay on actually getting patches out ("We may release a patch to fix this, or we might just wait until 8.1 in the fall... you'll just have to put up with it").

If you are looking for stability, I would recommend waiting until at least 8.0.2 comes out and a month or so after that to see what other users are experiencing...

Tempted to just dump Plesk altogether at this stage. SWsoft don't seem to give a f*ck about it or us at this stage.

adam

I'm working my way over towards cPanel myself. Got tired of being blamed for swsoft coding screwups, and the downtime is simply inacceptable.
I get cPanel for cheaper, and it comes with everything included that swsoft is charging extra for (spamassassin support, gameserver modules, Antivirus support). Once they bring out Apache 2.2 in the next week or two, I'll be done with secondrate coding.
It's real nice with cPanel having a web-based firewall adminstration panel that actually works like a firewall frontend, instead of like Windows (all or nothing). Quick and easy autoinstall scripts are better too... no need to deal with rpm junk. :)

Don't take this reply as anything but what it is, I am just here to share my experiences...

I have 8 VPS systems with Plesk 8 on them and have yet to experience a single issue. I mean that. 2 of them are migrations from 7.5.4 even. Not one.

So I don't know what specifically some users have issues with, I am not one of them having issues, but I would give you a big double thumbs up in regards to stability and overall uptime.

I even run a "free host" and things couldn't BE more stable.

Just another users opinion ;)

Cheers guys,

Can we please be friends, please? You must be a cool blessed person whose luck will hopefully rub off on me :)

Send a mail and we'll get to know each other!

Cheers!

Allen Williams
Director of Technology
Sustainable Hosting, LLC

Originally posted by travisbell
Don't take this reply as anything but what it is, I am just here to share my experiences...

I have 8 VPS systems with Plesk 8 on them and have yet to experience a single issue. I mean that. 2 of them are migrations from 7.5.4 even. Not one.

So I don't know what specifically some users have issues with, I am not one of them having issues, but I would give you a big double thumbs up in regards to stability and overall uptime.

I even run a "free host" and things couldn't BE more stable.

Just another users opinion ;)

Cheers guys,

Originally posted by alienation
Can we please be friends, please? You must be a cool blessed person whose luck will hopefully rub off on me :)

Send a mail and we'll get to know each other!

Cheers!

Allen Williams
Director of Technology
Sustainable Hosting, LLC

hahahaha, I must have good karma. Ever watch My Name is Earl?

I have 4 Plesk 8/Centos 4.3 boxes and no issues at all. Maybe because I use Plesk for the basics. Their implementation of Spamassassin sucks so bad that I setup a box just to use ART's Gamera Project. But as far as the basics are concerned, it's just as stable as any version I've used yet - and I started with PSA 5 Standard.

Hello guys,

We run SWSOFT's products in many boxes, and we was / are experimental animals for long!

I updated to plesk 8 on a VPS without any big problem but it still have the same problems and not any new feature !!

Spam assasign and the new watchdog and their problems as always - no archive manager !!! :|

What is the point of the desktop feautre ? They don't have any progress or development table ??

Get serious SW guys !!

I'm running 3 PSA 8.0.1 machines all on FreeBSD 5.4 and all are upgrades from 7.5.4. Of course I had the usual stable of basic problems and tweaks that come with any SW-Soft upgrade. I have yet to have any of the major issues people have been documenting such as the fstab corruption issue, which I think only plagued linux based installs.

Rule 1: don't use auto-installers, use the manual install
Rule 2: backup all of your data prior to upgrade with the PSA backup utilities as well as full filesystem backups with non PSA utilities.
Rule 3: know what you are getting into if you are installing bleeding edge releases from SW-Soft, because generally something will end up broken, so read up on known issues or just wait until they are 2 or 3 patches into a release

My thoughts, but if anyone needs FBSD install help, I've tackled most of the issues since 6.x releases.

Thx
James

Back