• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Dukemaster

Regular Pleskian
I'm a user getting the Plesk License together with Ubuntu 14.0.4 from provider (ISP). In the past I also used CentOS and Debian versions. According to my question following I think it's always the same.
Problem: How to start?
Is it better to update and upgrade the OS, in my case Ubuntu 14.0.4 (not dist-upgrade, just usual OS updates and upgrades) before I log in Plesk Admin Panel for the first time?
Or is it the best way first to activate Plesk with all first actions like Plesk GUI(user interface), admin informations (address,..), retrieving the Plesk License Key(s) and more settings, in my case installing a second dedicated IP...
Nobody, also not the provider (ISP) tell me what is the best to do exactly in the beginning.
Linux experts would suggest to first bringing Ubuntu up-to-date. But everybody who knows Plesk well, knows that it could be better that Plesk recognizes each step according to the operation system.

Sorry for this beginner question, but also in this case, I guess many Plesk user who have a license from a provider would like to know the best way in starting the whole system.

Additional information: During the last week I reinitialized the server about 8 times only to upgrade Ubuntu to 16.0.4 LTS. My Provider 1and1 told me better to wait, because they will soon offer Ubuntu 16.0.4 together with Plesk Onyx as a default installation option. So, I stopped this mess with loosing MySQL Database during upgrade.

Plesk Onyx upgrade error - Error in updates/upgrades section.
The first times I had no errors by upgrading Plesk 12.5 to Plesk Onyx last week. But the last times an installation error notification accured not only after(!) the Plesk upgrade but also after installing PHP handler 7.0.13 and Letsencrypt.
IMPORTANT: All software was installed properly and correct in functions. I think this errors are no real errors because I watched the logs and saw nothing except switching already installed packages.
Perhaps it could have to do with operating systems updates during the few last days.
Lots of greets

Hi Dukemaster,

Is it better to update and upgrade the OS, in my case Ubuntu 14.0.4 (not dist-upgrade, just usual OS updates and upgrades) before I log in Plesk Admin Panel for the first time?
Yes.

Or is it the best way first to activate Plesk with all first actions like Plesk GUI(user interface), admin informations (address,..), retrieving the Plesk License Key(s) and more settings, in my case installing a second dedicated IP...
No.

My Provider 1and1 told me better to wait, because they will offer Ubuntu 16.0.4 together with Plesk Onyx as a default installation option
Well, sorry to say that, but they would never be my first choice, when it comes to questions, regarding linux stuff. ;)

Additional information: During the last week I reinitialized the server about 8 times only to upgrade Ubuntu to 16.0.4 LTS. My Provider 1and1 told me better to wait, because they will offer Ubuntu 16.0.4 together with Plesk Onyx as a default installation option. So, I stopped this mess with loosing MySQL Database during upgrade.
Pls. don't forget to make backups, before you upgrade, which makes it far easier in case of issues/errors/problems. It takes far longer to re-install an OS, than to restore a MySQL - dump.

Wow, thank You for the amazing support and help. And bad, that I made it the other way. Perhaps this is the reason for the error notifaction after installing Onyx, PHP 7.0.13 and Letsencrypt.
But I didn't want to make everything new now. When they support Ubuntu 16 as an official install option it's the best time to start with updating/upgrading before activating Plesk.
when it comes to questions, regarding linux stuff
Lol, I know what You mean. But I really have to say, I was always satisfied with 1and1, their support and possibilities in changing contract or server. And in my case it's also a question of money.

Back