• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Strange DNS Issue with Primary Domain -- Help!

A

acidbox

I am having a very strange issue with the DNS on my new plesk server. The PRIMARY domain, ie the master domain which holds the DNS is really screwed up.

The Plesk server does not recognize this domain exists on the system. For instance, if I log into SSH and ping mydomain.net. it says:

ping: unknown host mydomain.net

Needless to say, because of this, nobody can access the sites or get mail from this domain because it does not resolve. You can't even ping the site from the server or an outside computer. The only workaround is to edit my hosts file on my local windows machine and manually add the domain in it. This leads me to believe it is a problem with BIND / DNS.

Here is what my DNS entries look like:

ns1.mydomain.net. NS mydomain.net.
ns2.mydomain.net. NS mydomain.net.
mydomain.net. A xxx.xxx.xxx.173
mail.mydomain.net. A xxx.xxx.xxx.173
webmail.mydomain.net. A xxx.xxx.xxx.173
ns1.mydomain.net. A xxx.xxx.xxx.2
server01.mydomain.net. A xxx.xxx.xxx.2
ns2.mydomain.net. A xxx.xxx.xxx.171
phpmyadmin.mydomain.net. A xxx.xxx.xxx.173
ftp.mydomain.net. CNAME mydomain.net.
www.mydomain.net. CNAME mydomain.net.
mydomain.net. MX (10) mail.mydomain.net.
xxx.xxx.xxx.173 / 24 PTR mydomain.net.

xxx.xxx.xxx.2 = My main IP (Shared IP), Also being used for NS1 DNS
xxx.xxx.xxx.171 = An IP reserved for NS2 DNS
xxx.xxx.xxx.173 = A unique IP reserved for the actual domain, mydomain.net

Inside the Plesk CP, under System Preferences, I have server01.mydomain.net as the Full Hostname. I think this is the correct way to do it, and I have the DNS entry entered above.

My /etc/resolv.conf looks like this:
nameserver 66.98.240.131
nameserver 67.15.31.131
nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.2
nameserver 127.0.0.1

The first two lines resolve to EV1Servers, where I got my server.
The 3rd line is the main (Shared) IP address

Even if all else failed, I think it would find the domain on the server if it checked localhost at the end. Something has to be acting up with bind.

The only thing I could find that looked different was in the /etc/named.conf:

zone "mydomain.net" {
type master;
file "mydomain.net";
allow-transfer {
xxx.xxx.xxx.173;
xxx.xxx.xxx.173;
common-allow-transfer;
};
};

If you notice that it uses the actual site's uniqueIP address for both entries, where every other site in the named.conf has the xxx.xxx.xxx.2 (shared IP) as the first line and the unique IP as the second line. I tried to change this, but every time you make a change in the Plesk CP it overwrites the file back to the way it was.

Just a reminder, all the other sites on the server seem to be working ok, just not this one, even other sites with unique IP addresses.

If anyone has any idea why this might be happening or how to help, please let me know! Thanks in advance.

Back