• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Subdomain is pain

jj05

Basic Pleskian
Plesk's subdomain handling is pretty awful.

Let's say I create the subdomain subdom inside the example.com subscription (i.e. subdomain.example.com).

When I look at the Plesk domain structure, it always creates the subdomains folder, e.g. /var/www/vhosts/example.com/subdomains

A reasonable default to create a subfolder in would be /var/www/vhosts/example.com/subdomains/subdom
However the default location that Plesk suggests is: /var/www/vhosts/example.com/site1 . WTF???

When I configure the domain to be created in subdomains/subdom it still creates an additional folder structure in /var/www/vhosts/subdom.example.com. WTF???

When I try to create an alias for the subdomain, it's not possible through the interface. WTF???

At least it's possible to do through the command line using the domalias utility. NOT!
I run the domalias utility, and it reports SUCCESS -- it displays it in the control panel, but the alias doesn't actually work. WTF???

Last edited:
A reasonable default to create a subfolder in would be /var/www/vhosts/example.com/subdomains/subdom
However the default location that Plesk suggests is: /var/www/vhosts/example.com/site1 . WTF???

When I configure the domain to be created in subdomains/subdom it still creates an additional folder structure in /var/www/vhosts/subdom.example.com. WTF???

I see no problem with the above, just like any other panel a subdomain should have too vhost configurations. Again you can specify any location you want the subdomain folder to be located.its just a matter of preference.

It's not a problem if you have a few domains. If you have hundreds of domains and subdomains then it gets very messy, inconsistent and unmaintainable. Also not being able to do aliases for subdomains is a major shortcoming, which you didn't address. You can't even manually edit the vhost configuration file, as they will be overwritten by Plesk. I managed to work around my immediate problem by creating a separate subscription for the subdomain, but that's not a great solution.

Last edited:
I agree

I am featuring the same problem. I've recently updated my Plesk from 10 up to 11.0.9 and I figured out that Plesk created additional subfolders form subdomains. I have about 15 subdomains so vhosts dir becomes a little bit messy. So I did some research and experiments.
First step was to create .trash folder to preserve original files. I've moved all subdomain folder there and it started my pain. Cause all xxxx_httpd.includes was located there so apache was unable to restart.

My question is why Plesk 11 creates those subdomain folder in vhosts dir just for storing httpd.include for subdomain.
Why couldnt use subdomains folder located in parent domain dir as it was in Plesk 10??

It is really confusing. I realy think that this bug/issue pointing me into using only Centos and putting Plesk 11.0.9 into trash.
Am i missing something?
Is it possible to change this behaviour? Maybe in Plesk templates or sth ?

Back