• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

subdomain to URL

T

tbarber

As far as I can tell, the subdomain feature only allows creation of a subdomain which forwards to a hosting subdirectory. I want to forward a subdomain to a URL, however, when I try to set this up in DNS using CNAMES, I am unsure what to put in the 'canonical name' and how to make the subdomain forward to a URL.

Its easy to forward stuff around using php. In the root of the subdomain, create an index.php file with the following php script:

<?php
header("Location: http://www.example.com/mynewtoppage/"); /* Redirect browser */

/* Make sure that code below does not get executed when we redirect. */
exit;
?>

This will send a header to the requesting web browser that the page has moved, and to redirect it to the new location. This is largely transparent to the end user and works pretty well.

In DNS the canonical name is the real name of the host, so I'm not sure if this is what your looking for.

Back