• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Submission Port Support?

spaceout

Basic Pleskian
Could anyone explain exactly what this is? It's listed as one of the new features in 8.3 and I'm a little confused about what it does and how it works.

Normal mail to the server is presented on port 25 (SMTP). The Submission Port is a secundairy port on the server that listens to incoming SMTP connections. You can use this if you want to close port 25 to counter spammerbots but still want to have the ability for your clients to send mail trough your servers.

This is definded in RFC 2476

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2476.txt

Regards Jan

Hi, does this mean that Port 25 must be closed for Mail Submission Agent to work in Plesk? I've got port 25 and 587 open, enable submission checked, but zen.spamhouse.org still blocks mail from dynamic IP's.

You leave port 25 alone.

Port 25 is the port that is used when one server communicates to another. Specifically, mail sent to your hosting users will arrive on port 25.

Port 25 is also the default port that most email programs use in order to send email via an smtp server -- in this case your Plesk server.

When you set up the use of the submission service, email is also accepted on port 587. However, because authentication is REQUIRED for any email to be accepted on that port then only people using an email program configured to send a username and password (smtp authentication) can send email.

In order to use port 587, your users need to change the default port their email program uses for smtp to 587. If they don't then they will still be using port 25.

The port 25 instance is configured through /etc/xinet.d/smtp_psa and it will include your dnsrbls (spamhaus etc).

The port 587 instance will have a slightly different name, and should not have your dnsrbls listed.

Faris.

Hi Faris, I've done exactly as you suggested, but when I try to send mail from my mail client from a dynamic IP, the mail client won't send. I'm sure there's something else going on in my setup. When I telnet to port 587, I get the rblsmtpd response as it should since I'm not authenticated. Can you suggest a way to try the submission other than through the mail client to try to figure out what's going on?

Thanks, Anibal

Back