• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Issue Sudden change to systemd?

I have a couple of servers running Debian Jessie (8) which suddenly fails to update php with the following error:

plesk sbin pum --update
2019-03-29 09:22:36 INFO: pum is called with arguments: ['--update']
2019-03-29 09:22:45 INFO: updating packages: ruby2.1 libruby2.1
(Reading database ... 245027 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../libruby2.1_2.1.5-2+deb8u7_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libruby2.1:amd64 (2.1.5-2+deb8u7) over (2.1.5-2+deb8u6) ...
Preparing to unpack .../ruby2.1_2.1.5-2+deb8u7_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking ruby2.1 (2.1.5-2+deb8u7) over (2.1.5-2+deb8u6) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.7.0.2-5) ...
Setting up plesk-php71-fpm (7.1.27-debian.8.190311.0956) ...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/plesk-php71-fpm.postinst: 9: /var/lib/dpkg/info/plesk-php71-fpm.postinst: systemctl: not found
dpkg: error processing package plesk-php71-fpm (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 127
Setting up plesk-php72-fpm (1:7.2.16-debian.8.190311.1059) ...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/plesk-php72-fpm.postinst: 9: /var/lib/dpkg/info/plesk-php72-fpm.postinst: systemctl: not found
dpkg: error processing package plesk-php72-fpm (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 127
Setting up libruby2.1:amd64 (2.1.5-2+deb8u7) ...
Setting up ruby2.1 (2.1.5-2+deb8u7) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.19-18+deb8u10) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
plesk-php71-fpm
plesk-php72-fpm
Error in function:
SystemError: E:Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
2019-03-29 09:22:49 ERROR: installArchives() failed
2019-03-29 09:22:49 ERROR: Exited with returncode 1.
exit status 1

Am i missing something ?
Did you just force systemd on me ?

Hi Igor
how come?
Why is systemd needed all of the sudden?

Not really a helpful comment for your problem, but rather a personal opinion: In my opinion we just have to face the fact that systemd has now become the standard init system on most Linux distros, so it may be a good practice to embrace the change instead of fighting against it.
I personally didn't like systemd in the beginning but after playing around with it for some time I got used to it and now I even started to like it. It has some nice features (like auto-restart of failed processes and a lot more), but yes, it's complex and there are many things that could be improved.
We migrated all our >100 systems to CentOS 7 and Debian 9 (with systemd) in the past years and now I would never want to go back to SysV-init again.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticising your decision not to use systemd, I'm rather trying to encourage you to start using it ;)

Last edited:
Hi Monty
Thanks for your response :)
i am using systemd on alot of systems, and no, i am not yet pleased with it. The future might change things for me though, as it did with you. ;)

But. The issue is that the force of change in the middle of nothing. It's not a new version of linux distribution, it's not a new plesk version (yes micro) and that kind of triggers me.
I would have accepted, and expected this change to happen if i upgraded to lets say 17.9 when it comes.
I woiuld have accepted and expected this to happen if i installed debian 9 and 17.8 as well. ( as a new install).
I do not expect this type of change to happen like this :)

When i ask "Why is systemd needed all of the sudden?" the question is mostly in regards to the missing version upgrade of both OS and Plesk. This does not make sense i my mind to do at this point in the middle of releases.
Debian 8 is an LTS version supported into 2020 i believe. Plesk Onyx will sometimes soonish be 17.9.
Again, i feel this change is weird and i don't like how this is being forced on me just like that.

But. The issue is that the force of change in the middle of nothing. It's not a new version of linux distribution, it's not a new plesk version (yes micro) and that kind of triggers me.

I agree with you on that. Micro-updates should not add new dependencies. Maybe some people from Plesk can explain why the problem happens now (I assume it was just "by accident").

This might be a side effect of debian restructuring their main server and removing jessie-updates and backports.

Back