• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Suddenly: Cannot send emails - but no change has been made

tetrahall

Basic Pleskian
Hello,
Mailing was working fine this morning. I can still receive emails. Sending is the problem.

Bounced emails contain the following:-
The mail system <[email protected]>: Command died with status 100: "/usr/bin/spamc". Command output: Mail handler 'limit-out' said: REPLY:554:5.7.0 Your message could not be sent. The user spamd is not allowed to send email

/var/log/maillog contains the following
Jul 7 07:55:41 host name journal: plesk sendmail[11680]: handlers_stderr: ERROR:__main__:Rejecting message: system user uid='10001' is not allowed to send mail Jul 7 07:55:41 host name journal: plesk sendmail[11680]: handlers_stderr: DATA REPLY:554:5.7.0 Your message could not be sent. The user spamd is not allowed to send email. Jul 7 07:55:41 host name journal: plesk sendmail[11680]: handlers_stderr: REJECT Jul 7 07:55:41 host name journal: plesk sendmail[11680]: REJECT during call 'limit-out' handler Jul 7 07:55:41 host name postfix/pipe[11675]: 756BF21C5C: to=<[email protected]>, relay=spamassassin, delay=2, delays=0.93/0.01/0/1, dsn=5.3.0, status=bounced (Command died with status 100: "/usr/bin/spamc". Command output: Mail handler 'limit-out' said: REPLY:554:5.7.0 Your message could not be sent. The user spamd is not allowed to send email.

There are no limits set on sending mail.
I send via php scripts and have done so for a long time without a problem.

Please help.

Update:
It looks like receiving is now affected as well.
I sent a message to [email protected] and the bounced message reads:-
The mail system <[email protected]>: Command died with status 100: "/usr/bin/spamc". Command output: Mail handler 'limit-out' said: REPLY:554:5.7.0 Your message could not be sent. The user spamd is not allowed to send email.

Help is urgently needed and would be greatly appreciated.

Command died with status 100: "/usr/bin/spamc"
Looks like you have some kind of customization in your /etc/postfix/master.cf which does not exist in default Plesk installations. I suppose something like:
spamassassin unix - n n - - pipe flags=R user=spamd argv=/usr/bin/spamc -e /usr/sbin/sendmail -oi -f ${sender} ${recipient}
This appears to send mails in the scope of user spamd, which is not allowed to send mails.
I suggest you try adding the user spamd with the following command, to allow it to send mails:
# /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/mailmng-outgoing --add-to-whitelist --sysuser=spamd
Alternatively, you may restore the default Plesk Mail configuration with the following command:
# plesk repair mail

Thank you, IgorG.
The first step looks easier to implement. But if I go for the second (repair) would it affect existing mailboxes, i.e would it reset the mail system to the point prior to creating these mailboxes?

Thank you. In that case Plesk repair mail should not be used, it is dangerous!

One last point, please, for learning purposes.

What could have caused this sudden issue. Mailing was working normally and I didn't change anything whatsoever. Then suddenly spamd user issue appeared out of the blue!

Could it be some update by Plesk? Updates are done automatically.

Back