• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

[Suggestion / Request] easy IP Range blocking

Would this feature be useful to you?

• No, I've never had to ban a range of IP's

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
M

MarkuzM

I've had quite a few " hack attempts " on several of my domains / subdomains, and as such, i've been forced to block vast ranges of china / brazil ISP's IP ranges. While it IS possible to deny a single user from your server, it's almost impossible to deny hundreds or thousands of IP addresses easily. While i know this should be considdered a last ditch effort, i feel it is still needed.

With the cost of commercial bandwidth, i think it would be a great idea to implement this as a single page script with a link in the " home > server " category called " Ban IP" where the user can insert a single IP address, or an IP address range.

example page layout/design:

Ban Single IP = [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]
Ban IP Range = [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] - [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]

Ban Length = [xxx] days

[SUBMIT BUTTON]

---------------------------------

List of Banned IP's
-----
check | IP Address / Range | Ban Remaining
[ ] ...... xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx - xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx - XXX days remain
[X] ...... xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx - xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx - XXX days remain

Remove ban from selected IP's [SUBMIT]
then the script adds the IP(s) to the database with expiry time, adds the IP addresses to iptables/firewall to refuse connections from these IP addresses,
a cron entry/task scheduler entry to check the database for expiry dates, if an IP address is banned for 30 days, after 30 days, the IP can be removed from the iptables / firewall

Just my 2¢
Really hope it happens.

Back