• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Summary Disk Usage

S

ServerCafe

Please bear with me, as I am a newbie to Plesk.

I am in the process of setting up my Plesk 7.5 Reloaded system on my new dedicated server and am having troble understanding some of the features. When setting up a client template, I specify that this type of account will have a maximum of 3 domains, 1000 MB of disk space and 10000 MB of throughput. However, when I create the first domain for this client, it only gets one third of the resources I have specified in the template. I would like the decision on how the resources are divided between the 3 domains allocated to the client to be decided by the client, i.e., all resources should be available to the primary domain. The admin user should then be able to create up to two additional domains and consume some portion of whatever resources are left, i.e., to be decided by the admin of the account.

Clearly, I'm not getting something here but the documentation is very inadequate when it comes to understanding the architecture of this system.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg

The fact that no one has responded with a solution is making me wonder if I picked the right control panel.

So far, I have found the interface to be excellent but the documentation to be pitiful. I really shouldn't have to be asking this question. The documentation should clearly describe the concepts, initial setup, etc., i.e., everything to get a novice started from the very beginning.

Since I'm not totally committed to this control panel, I guess it's not too late to switch to CPanel.

Maybe SWSoft doesn't even monitor this bulletin board.

Hmm...

Hey, Phoenix, I see you're from Baltimore. I'm just 30 minutes North of you in Bel Air.

Anyway, thanks for responding. I actually downloaded all of the manuals in PDF format. If the pointer you have given me is the online version of the Administrators manual then I've already looked through it. That said, if you are pointing me to it then it is entirely possible that I missed something. As I said before, I am a total novice with Plesk. I'll take a look through what you have pointed me to and hope I'll find the answer to my question. I've been a programmer/developer for multiple decades and have managed a FreeBSD UNIX server for 8 years but have never worked with Plesk. If you're saying the documentation is adequate then I am going to have to trust you on this point and assume that I might be having a Senior Moment, or am getting slow in my "old" age.

That said, I will dive into your reference and take another look. I do hope I find the answer to my question.

Again, thank you Phoenix for responding.

Greg

Okay, Phoenix, here's what I've have determined...not because the documentation explained this but because I just started thinking back on the steps I took to get to the point of creating a domain.

That said, I remembered creating the client first and a login. So, I logged in as the client instead of the domain of the client that I created. Ah Ha! I say. Now I can get to the limits and change them for the domain that assumed certain defaults. After some experimentation, I have found that Plesk leaves the "Unlimited" checkboxes in-place, even though you cannot use them when the client has maximum limits.

Also, if you enable a client to have up to 3 domains, you must divvy up the space between the domains, i.e., if the client has a maximum of 1GB of disk space, you cannot setup summary usage between the 3 domains allocated to the client. That is, you must allocate X MB to one domain, Y MB to the second, and Z MB to the third domain. Why can't I just say, all three domains can have up to the 1GB limit but that all three combined cannot exceed 1GB. That way, disk usage between the 3 domains could fuctuate anywhere in the range of 0 to 1GB. Instead, I have to give each domain a fixed amount of disk space.

Even the klunky H-Sphere control panel allows summary disk space allocation.

It truly is time to take a serious look at CPanel.

Back