• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Switching from short to full names authorization

musictus

Basic Pleskian
Hello
I read this from manual:

If you are using Qmail mail server, you can also select the mail account format.
Selecting the Use of short and full names is allowed option will allow users to log in to their mail accounts by specifying only the left part of e-mail address before the @ sign (for example, username), or by specifying the full email address (for example, [email protected]).
To avoid possible authorization problems for email users who reside in different domains but have identical user names and passwords, we highly recommend that you choose the Only use of full mail account names is allowed option.
Once you have set your mail server to support only full mail account names, you will not be able to switch back to supporting short account names until you make sure there are no encrypted passwords for mailboxes and user accounts with coinciding user names and passwords residing in different domains.

I'm currently using short names and I want to switch to full names.

Is there a way to know from logs, which users are currently using short names to authorize, so that I can inform them to switch to long names, before I do the setup change and they will get error message?

Actually, it is not so easy.
You can try to switch. As I remember Plesk will not do it if there are duplicates of pairs login/password
I think you need to run following before switching:

# /usr/local/psa/admin/bin/mail_auth_view |awk '/@/ {print $2}{next;}' | sort

and see which mailboxes on the domains have the same name. If there are, then you need to change password for both clients.

Thanks. You mean that for example for all "info" accounts, I have to change the password on all domains, otherwise it will not work?

Yes, if you have such accounts. It is actual only for duplicates.

IgorG, I think you confused switching from short to full mail names with vice versa. Switching from short to full mail names should always be possible.

Thanks! Then I can try switching to full names without troubles?
Whilw, if after that I switch back to short names, I will have troubles. Correct?

Thanks! Then I can try switching to full names without troubles?

Yes.

Whilw, if after that I switch back to short names, I will have troubles. Correct?

No, unless a mail is created such that there will be two or more mails with the same short name.

Regarding your initial question. You won't have 100% confidence anyway, but some entries in maillog may hint at usage of short mail names. Just try logging into SMTP and/or POP3/IMAP via short mail name and full mail name to see what kind of log entries are generated. If you're on Plesk 11.5, you may use a handy shortcut to watch maillog: # plesk log maillog

Back