• Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated
    With the upgrade to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, "Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Servers" will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. We recommend that you migrate to Sophos Anti-Virus for Servers.
  • The Horde webmail has been deprecated. Its complete removal is scheduled for April 2025. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan.

Question Switching to new server

RingoStar77

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
Debian 12
Plesk version and microupdate number
Hello, we have ordered a new server from Ionos with Debian 12 and Plesk. We are currently using a server from Ionos, but still with Debian 10. As this operating system is now outdated, we would like to switch to a newer version.

My plan was to install a complete Plesk backup on the new server (backup is on an FTP server) and then subsequently adjust the IP address again. Customers, subscriptions, domains etc. are transferred correctly. Unfortunately, there are problems with the transfer of the databases.

Here is an extract from the error log:

Code:
WARNING:      (Restore domain object 'autoweigel.de')      Failed deployment of database autoweigel_maxx (domain autoweigel.de)

WARNING:      ()      Errors occurred during deployment of database content. Not all content may be restored. Resolve the errors if required or try to restore the content manually from the archive: databases/autoweigel_maxx_1[sqldump]: backup_sqldump_2409100313_2409130313.tzst

WARNING:      ()      Execution of /usr/bin/mysql --defaults-file=/etc/mysql/my.cnf -u backup_nUdRQHV -h localhost -P 3306 --default-character-set utf8 --abort-source-on-error autoweigel_maxx failed with return code 1.
Stdin is
source /tmp/pmm-ru-udb-dump-hd6YY2/backup_sqldump_2409100313_2409130313;
exit
Stderr is
ERROR at line 1 in file: '/tmp/pmm-ru-udb-dump-hd6YY2/backup_sqldump_2409100313_2409130313': Unknown command '\-'.

What can I do?

Thanks for the reply!

Unfortunately I don't know how to customise the mysql dump. On the old server I have the extension SFTP Backup in use. I have also installed and set this up on the new server. Now all backups from the FTP server are listed.

I then select a backup from the list and click on restore, that's all.

Are there any other ways to do this? So that I can customise the file as you mentioned?

Alternatively, you can check database versions on the source and target servers; likely, the target has an older version than the one installed on the source. In this case, updating the database on the target server makes sense. I believe it should also help reduce maintenance work in the future.

The new debian 12 server uses mariadb 10.11.6, the old server uses mariadb 10.5.26.

I am not sure if there is an update available to 10.11.6 on debian 10? I am also afraid that something goes wrong as we have 200 customers on the old server.

Yes, I will consider this possibility.

For now, I have edited the panel.ini with

[databaseManagement]
features.canBeUpgraded = 1

so that I could update MariaDB on the old server. The update worked successfully to 10.11.9.

The server is currently creating a new full backup. I will then try to import this backup. If that doesn't work, I will go the route with the local backup and let you know.

Thanks again for your help!

I was finally able to import a test customer. This was only possible after I had updated mariadb to the exact same version as the old server (10.11.9).

However, the imported website did not work at first. I checked the log and realised that Plesk had changed the database password when importing the database.

Can this be prevented? Otherwise I would have to go into every Wordpress installation and change the password manually.

I was finally able to import a test customer. This was only possible after I had updated mariadb to the exact same version as the old server (10.11.9).

However, the imported website did not work at first. I checked the log and realised that Plesk had changed the database password when importing the database.
Are you importing from a backup on the old server? Did you set a backup password? Without a password, Plesk randomizes all passwords on restore:

Hm... Could you please provide more detailed steps and/or logs? It could help better understand what is happened and why.

btw, why do you prefer to migrate data through a full backup and not through Plesk Migrator (https://docs.plesk.com/en-US/obsidi...ms/migrating-via-the-plesk-interface.75721/)?

This is the only log message I get when restoring a customer:

Code:
Info: Restore hosting "xxx.de"
The password was generated for user 'xxx'. New password is 'xxx'
Info: Restore database user "xxx"
The password was generated for user 'Database user xxx'. New password is 'xxx'

I had some troubles using the plesk migrator in the past so I thought it might be easier to just restore a backup.

Are you importing from a backup on the old server? Did you set a backup password? Without a password, Plesk randomizes all passwords on restore:

So I create a new complete backup, set a password for it and can then import the backup without this problem?

Set the password first in the backup setup, then it should restore with the same passwords.

Awesome, that worked really well!

---

Unfortunately, a new problem has occurred after restoring the backup:

Code:
Warning: Restore domain "xxx.yyy"
Execution of /opt/psa/admin/sbin/httpdmng --reconfigure-domains zz.xxx.yyy,xxx.yyy -skip-broken failed with return code 1.
Stderr is
[2024-09-18 14:45:03.883] 151656:66eae76e1c543 ERR [util_exec] proc_close() failed ['/opt/psa/admin/bin/nginx-config' '-t'] with exit code [1]
[2024-09-18 14:45:04.222] 151656:66eae76e1c543 ERR [util_exec] proc_close() failed ['/opt/psa/admin/bin/nginx-config' '-t'] with exit code [1]
[2024-09-18 14:45:04.225] 151656:66eae76e1c543 ERR [panel] Apache config (17266707020.76277600) generation failed: Template_Exception: nginx: [emerg] unknown "webp_extension" variable
nginx: configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf test failed

file: /opt/psa/admin/plib/Template/Writer/Webserver/Abstract.php
line: 75
code: 0
nginx: [emerg] unknown "webp_extension" variable
nginx: configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf test failed

Last error is
Resource temporarily unavailable

I searched the web for "plesk webp" but only found this:

I think some custom modifications were made on the source server (likely according to the KB article), and if so, it makes sense to make the same customizations on the target server. I would prefer to solve all warnings to be sure that everything will be restored in the future correctly :)

Back