• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Input Symbolic Links

andyh_

New Pleskian
Hi,

I am new to plesk so I have a huge learning curb to climb. I asked my webhosting if it is possible to use Plesk Web GUI to create an ftp user in domain1.co.uk and that user to have access to a directory that is in /var/ftp/user1 for example.

user uses ftp client to access the ftp and they see folder1 which will then divert to /var/ftp/user1

I currently have /var/ftp setup on sftp with its own username & password which all the staff use for internal sharing of data but I have recently taken on a new member of staff who is working remotely and as you can imagine I do not want to give them full access to everything.

I've created my symlink user1 that points to /var/ftp/user1 I can access the symlink as root user but when I create a user login via plesk gui I receive permission denied

Any suggestions would be muchly appreciated thank you.

Last edited:
Hello,

I finally figured it out with a lot of digging around.
I have 2 hdds. 1 ssd for web hosting and 2nd for team ftp so my server backup only webhosting and no internal staff files
I already had a group called upload which was for the team sftp and I wanted to add the additional member of staff just access to his own folder in the team sftp without muddying the waters too much.

created symlink - ln -s /var/ftp/fred /var/www/vhosts/domain1.co.uk
chown your domains username & existing group with chown username:group /var/ftp/fred
chmod -R 775 /var/ftp/fred
then used the plesk gui and created a new ftp access user clicked domain, selected the domain then ftp access, add an ftp account created username & password pointed home diretory to symlink saved it and done.

Now my existing team can add, delete & rename files and folders in the new users folder and the new user only has access to his own folder nothing else.

Back