• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Testing before to publish a release as final ?

Mickael Salfati

Regular Pleskian
Hello IgorG (and parallels team)

I was really pleased to see a new version of plesk (10.4.4) out. But I'm wondering if real testing is done before to provide a final release. We can see in the "Troubleshooting Issues" forum several severe issues, and lot of customers are concerned. Of course, I don't talk about a particular issue which affect only one/two clients in a particular situation.

How Dev team didn't encounter these issues while testing ? How testing step is done ?
Is there some customers to help you in the testing ?

I ask you these questions because when I see issues like statistics never updated, psa-pc-remote services crash, issue to authenticate from external email clients, etc. I have doubts about testing process. Now, my plesk installs (in production) are unstable and I'm looking forward to getting patches.

To be honest, when I have to upgrade to a plesk release, I'm wondering if it's a good thing to do it right now or better to wait some weeks, because some other users will have teething problems.

This topic is not an attack, just a topic to make advance things.
Mickael.

Last edited:
Full acknowledge. We're experiencing the same issues since the update to 10.4.4. (psa-pc-remote, mail login etc.)
I think Parallels isn't real interested in testing so every time the customer is the beta tester. Every version update fixes hundreds of bugs and releases hundreds of new. Even Microsoft has a better release and update policy meanwhile.
I'm really sick of reporting bugs to Parallels support.

Suggestions

Well at least plesk 10.4.4 has new "Update and Upgrade Settings" where you can disable automatic updates and track the "Stable Version" instead of the "(Recommended) Release version".

I'm afraid that currently the QA process that parallels is using just isn't up to the task of providing a stable server control panel. As evidence of the updates breaking the MTA on two separate occasions in the last few months:

Encrypted password auth does not work after update to plesk 10.4.4
http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=208835

Can't send emails using apple client
http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=208835

Lets hope that parallels can get this handled in the future.

no they only announced "[...]the best and most stable release of Plesk Panel[...]" via mail at saturday...

Yes, Parallels does a lot of tests internally. Here is a brief overview of the testing process:
- testing each change individually
- quick test of a new build integrity (for critical issues)
- testing release as a whole and in details (automated and manual)
- testing installation and functioning in over 70 possible configurations (different OSes and platforms)
- testing upgrade from each of supported previous versions of Plesk in the same set of configurations (above)
- testing migration from current and each of supported previous versions of Plesk in the same set of configurations (above)
- testing upgrade and migration on anonymized clones of live environments (TAP program - feel free to join at www.parallels.com/tap/)
- stress testing
- security testing
- performance and density testing
- open preview program, 3-5 early preview shipped so everyone can evaluate quality of new version before launch and report it to Parallels (bug report problem
- pre-production build available before release for evaluation (also available publicly)
- voluntary installation and run-time problem reports to Parallels

Still people use Plesk in so many different manners and some of them appear to not be covered sufficiently. Even if some case is statistically rare, there will always be few customers hitting this problem because of large Plesk audience.

How we handle newly discovered problems - forum, support and run-time errors tracking are monitored. When problem is discovered, we reproduce it, confirm and issue a fix in microupdate. We also update test set to cover these cases. Currently known problems are in progress now.

Regards

It's nice to know that Parallels is indeed testing their releases but it doesn't help in the current situation where obviously a buggy release has been published. We managed to work around most of the issues but it clearly needs to be fixed. We already contacted support and sales but didn't get any information other than the issues are known and are beeing worked on. Do you (@Sergey L) have any information about the release date for the next MU containing the much needed fixes?

Hi centron,

Microupdates are shipped on weekly basis. Which other bugs you noticed beyond reported to IgorG:
[Parallels #1268619] High server load caused by psa-pc-remote
[Parallels #1268679] SMTP authentification via DIGEST-MD5 fails
?

The high load is yet being researched. Apparently it doesn't happen on any server, but only on some - thus it takes time to catch.

Regards

Beyound that we found the issue that smtp-authentification (doesn't matter if MD5, or LOGIN) fails for some domains without a visible reason. Disabling the mail service for the domain and enabling it again solves the problem for some time until it occurs again for another domain or even the same one.

Sergey L, Thanks for your reply. As centron said, It's nice to know that Parallels is indeed testing their releases but when an issue concern all customers, I think that parallels Team need to analyze why this issue wasn't reported before to publish; for example, this bug about statistics never updated. (IgorG just published the patch and I confirm that issue is fixed)

The high load is yet being researched. Apparently it doesn't happen on any server, but only on some - thus it takes time to catch.
indeed, a parallels team member is searching about this issue on my server ... (following my report)

Sergey L, following a PM received (to invite me) I submit forms to register to "Parallels Technology Adoption Program" and "Parallels Product Expert program" but I didn't receive any reply. How long will it take to receive a reply ?

Hello, Gents.

All mentioned above issues have been submitted to be fixed in upcoming 10.4.4 micro-updates #5 and #6, this week and next week accordingly.

Plesk Service is now focused on fixing ALL incoming 10.4.4 requests as soon as possible.
The goal is to make Plesk 10.4.4 Stable until end of the 2011 year.

Thank you for reporting. Your feedback is much appreciated.
We'd only like you to bring more details about issues.
Detailed and structured report allows us to quickly find out a root cause and rapidly provide a solution.

Hope for your understanding and Sorry for the inconvenience.

Last edited:
Hello, Gents.

All mentioned above issues have been submitted to be fixed in upcoming 10.4.4 micro-updates #5 and #6, this week and next week accordingly.

Plesk Service is now focused on fixing ALL incoming 10.4.4 requests as soon as possible.
The goal is to make Plesk 10.4.4 Stable until the end of the 2011 year.

Thank you for reporting. Your feedback is much appreciated.
We'd only like you to bring more details about issues.
Detailed and structured report allows us to quickly find out a root cause and rapidly provide a solution.

Hope for your understanding and Sorry for the inconvenience.
Sergius, thank you very much, it's really appreciated. With this kind of post, we know that parallels team understood our need and work on a solution.
It should be really good to see that sort of message more frequently on the forum ...

About the format report, I'm completely agree and sometimes we are lost in the topic, because there is a lot of useless replies. It would be perhaps a good solution to integrate a real bugtracker interface ?

About the format report, I'm completely agree and sometimes we are lost in the topic, because there is a lot of useless replies. It would be perhaps a good solution to integrate a real bugtracker interface ?

Hi, Mickael. Good idea.

We are considering a possibility for Forum's users to submit formatted report about new features / discovered issues on site.
Now our Web Team is working on updating Forum tool software and then will improve Forum functionality to meet your expectations and make Plesk Online Community more efficient.

Back