• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Plesk remote external backup - any suggestions?

PeopleInside

Regular Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Plesk version and microupdate number
Version 18.0.60
Hi,
I want store a maximum of 6 or better 7 Full Plesk backups done daily on an external server.

I want backups saved locally and also externally.

The try with the Google Drive
Some weeks ago I installed the Google Drive extension and I setup the backup on a Google Drive account with 15 GB of free space.
Each backup take about 1,90 GB.

Unfortunately I found issues with the Google Drive Backup so I need to stop and remove the extension until a fix will be found or maybe... I can also consider a fix for my situation will be not released so I need maybe find an alternative.

The issue with the Google Drive extension has been reported here.

Maybe for have success I need pay for addition Google Drive space but it's something I want avoid as I have to spend a lot of money for the server, for Plesk and also for the website components.

I tried to install the Amazon S3 Backup extension.
I created a free AWS account that I have already closed, cancelled.

I face many issues with Amazon AWS.
I'm Italian so not all is well translated and on the free plan I cannot contact support.
The registration require to insert all my data: address, payment method and allow a small payment for the verifications.

Once the account was active I was asking if all I do will keep me safe from see invoices that need to be paid and even I was not sure of the GB space that I can have free.
I read about 100 GB? I don't know.

I activated the MFA (2 step) and once I add this I never found recovery code and I was not able to disable the two step verification because an error when I try to remove.
After some issues I configured the Plesk extension to save a backup on AWS and a backup was successfully stored but where?

Plesk showed me that backup was created both on my local server and also on AWS but in the AWS interface I was unable to find where this backup was saved.

For all that reasons and to avoid some cost I deleted my AWS account and removed the Amazon S3 Backup extension.

Anyone has some suggestion on how maybe they do external backup?
Anyone use a free space to do that without require to pay additional fee?

Currently I had to disable all external backup as I was not able to save my backup externally without issues.

I don't think there are a lot of free options. But there are some really cheap alternatives:

CloudFlare R3
CloudFlare offers 10 GB free storage on their R3 storage. Which is compatible with the AWS S3 api, so it can be used with the Amazon S3 Backup extension. It's also much easier to use then AWS in my option. The downsite is that you do have to add a valid payment method to your CloudFlare account to use it. There is also no limit. So a soon as you use more then 10 GB you will be billed. (But storage is really cheap).
More information: Pricing · Cloudflare R2 docs

Backblaze B2
Backblaze offers 10GB of free storage as well. It's also compatible with the AWS S3 api, so it can be used with the Amazon S3 Backup extension too. It's easier to use than AWS. But you need to add a valid payment method to your account to use it. There is also no storage limit. So a soon as you use more then 10 GB you will be billed. However their storage is extremely cheap, with 1 TB (!) for only $6 a month.
More informations: Cloud Storage Pricing Comparison: Calculate Your Costs

DigitalOcean spaces
The storage on Digitalocean spaces is not free, but it's quite cheap. You can store 250 GB for $5 a month. There is a Plesk extension for DigitalOcean spaces. So it's easy to user (much easier then AWS).
More information: Spaces Pricing :: DigitalOcean Documentation

Last edited:
10 GB is not enough, 15 GB are the minimum.
I want use Google Drive but currently I found issues on the Plesk Drive extension.

If AWS Amazon gives something like 100 GB free this will be the best solution but in my experience was very hard or impossible to understand how to use AWS so maybe AWS is not an option.

Hard finding.
Thanks for the reply and for the suggestions.

The Amazon S3 Backup and Digital Ocean Spaces Extensions really do a great job in my opinion. While S3 is definitely difficult to setup, there are some videos on YouTube that are helpful, and the cost per GB is incredibly low (were talking "less" than pennies per GB).

First 50 TB / Month$0.023 per GB
Next 450 TB / Month$0.022 per GB
Over 500 TB / Month$0.021 per GB

In terms of using either for backup and restore, they simply work. I've restored full sites from S3 back to Plesk on numerous occasions and it was a one-click and done experience.

You are going to be hard pressed to beat S3 for reliability and price.

Back