• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Testing Site Prior To DNS Switch

R

rsderrick

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to test a site that I have loaded to an IP that sits on a Virtual Dedicated Server at Godaddy.com. I am trying to figure out what URL I need to give to my customer in order for them to be able to view the site prior to DNS switch. Can someone tell me what that is?

TIA

If it sits on a dedicated IP then its:

http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx AKA the IP address.

If not a dedicated IP, in your IP settings set the IPs default site to the one you want.

Problems shout.

Changing Default IP

Ebhauk,

Thanks for the info. I did notice that there is a site on my Virtual Dedicated Server that show up when the IP is requested in a browser. How would one go about changing the "default" site that shows up when the IP is requested? Thanks again for your help.

I am also not seeing a way to view the site via the dedicated ip address of the account/domain other than the site viewer which will not show the css or images of a default wordpress install prior to the domain transfer. Is there a way to modify the vhost file from /var/www/vhosts/domain.com/conf/httpd.include and change the following :80
<VirtualHost 67.225.xxx.xxx:80>
ServerName domain.com:80
to the same without the :80 and then distill the file to retain the changes?

This is a new setup of plesk for linux.

Please advise.

Just add an entry to your HOSTS file so that your computer sees the site at the new IP. How to edit the HOSTS file is different based on the specific OS you're using, but it's just a matter of editing one text file on your computer.

Hosts file location(s):

Just add an entry to your HOSTS file so that your computer sees the site at the new IP. How to edit the HOSTS file is different based on the specific OS you're using, but it's just a matter of editing one text file on your computer.

Linux is easy:

/etc/hosts

Windows is a bit to remember:

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

In either case, leave the 127.0.0.1 line alone. Add additional lines for your public IP addresses, such as:

1.2.3.4 domain.com www.domain.com mail.domain.com webmail.domain.com lists.domain.com subdomain.domain.com

Of course that all presumes you host everything on the one address. Personally I always host mail on the server's primary IP so that reverse DNS has a snowball's chance of working. Remember to remove (or comment out) this line when you bring working DNS online so you aren't fooled into thinking it works.

Back