• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Too many simultaneous POP3 connections?

H

hpprod

Hi -
Is there a setting that would restrict the number of incoming POP3 connections for one vhost? I have a customer who has (12) POP3 accounts on his domain .. and he is using MS Entourage to check all (12) at the same time ... Send/Receive All ...

He gets numerous connection errors when he does Send/Receive All .. but if he checks each box individually, it connects fine.

I also have (12) POP3 accounts in my Apple Mail program, but they are all from different domains ... not 12 accounts on one domain. Just wondering if there may be a cutoff or something?

Thanks,
Fred

There's a limit of 4 connections from 1 IP to courier-imap. You need to modify the setting in:

/usr/lib/courier-imap/etc/imapd

I think it's called MAXPERIP, you can change it to 12 then restart courier-imap:

service courier-imap restart

Or they could setup mail checking in different time intervals. i.e. setup the mail client to check some domains every 10 minutes, others at 15, 20 or 25. This way they're not all being checked at the same time and using up the connection limit.

update

Hey Guys -
I did as suggested, and updated the MAXPERIP setting - but this also must be done in the pop3 file. In addition, I had to increase the MAXDAEMONS in both as well.

After doing that, the problem is solved.

Thanks,
Fred

Back