• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Tools & Resources - SSH Terminal in plesk interface not working after change port

WordsBitcoins

New Pleskian
Hi Everyone,

I changed the default ssh port and added it to Plesk Firewall Rules successfully and I can access SSH through putty but when I try to access it from the Plesk GUI I see the following error:
Connection Broken
ssh: connect to host 127.0.0.1 port 22: connection refused

I also modified the Jail to the following:
iptables[name=ssh, port=4477]

Any suggestions?

I assume that the extension as other software expects SSH to run on port 22. Why would anyone change that anyway?

I assume that the extension as other software expects SSH to run on port 22. Why would anyone change that anyway?
The actual server owner is a novice and can't handle server management. In the simplest case, he needs to change the root password, while Plesk does not provide a way to change the root password.
In order to provide even a simple layer of security on SSH, we change the port.
Now I'm wondering what if ssh fails and we are not able to access it through third party programs like Putty? The Terminal option through the Plesk GUI will provide a quick solution instead of going into rescue mode or connecting through VNC sometimes.

The question now is how can I fix that??

There's nothing broken, so nothing to fix. The problem is that the port has been changed to a non-standard port. You need to change it back to the standard and everything will work like a charm.

> In order to provide even a simple layer of security on SSH, we change the port.

You really don't add any security by changing the SSH port. That's silly.

> Now I'm wondering what if ssh fails and we are not able to access it through third party programs like Putty? The Terminal option through the Plesk GUI will provide a quick solution instead of going into rescue mode or connecting through VNC sometimes.

I've not taken a look at this, but I'd guess Plesk just sends a connection to the SSHD daemon. If that fails, you cannot use the terminal anyways. It does not act like a KVM/IPMI/VNC console, which emulates a physical hardware connection.

Well from everything I have learnt so far is that is basic common practise to change the default SSH port as much it is to disable root login. The extension is useless, not broke, just inadequate. cPanel and Cyber Panel both allow change of the SSH port, and their internal terminals continue to work.

You can set port 22 and port xxxx (e.g. 2222) then block external access to port 22 with firewall rule and set up a different port for access xxxx , but use port 22 for the internal SSH Terminal.
i try and seems work

[+] SSH Terminal detects custom address and port of sshd daemon (PPP-53727).
To update it manually, change sshd settings and run the following commands in the console:
/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/modules/ssh-terminal/installer --update-configuration systemctl restart plesk-ssh-terminal.service

Back