• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved TUN/TAP-device für Plesk Obsidian

Kulturmensch

Regular Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 20.04.5 LTS
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian v18.0.49
After an upgrade from my old to a new VPS my dev/tun device including its module disappeared.
:~# modprobe tun
modprobe: FATAL: Module tun not found in directory /lib/modules/5.4.0

So my OpenVPN does not work any longer.

Question: Is it possible to install the necessary TUN module using Plesk Obsidian?

In Plesk Obsidian support for the VPN extension was dropped due to consistently low installation numbers and significant resources needed to update it for compatibility with Plesk Obsidian. However, you can still use a system that has Plesk on it for OpenVPN as that can be installed and maintained on the Linux shell.

Ok, that explains it. Thank you. I now have asked my VPS-host to provide an ubuntu kernel with the necessary TUN/TAP-module. Hopefully it will work. However, if they are not willing to do this your OpenVPN hint will be Plan B as it is only free of charge for two connections.

So, I finally made it. After failing with setting up a Wireguard-VPN I went back to OpenVPN and found the following solution:
I simply installed:
  1. mkdir -p /dev/net
  2. mknod /dev/net/tun c 10 200
  3. chmod 600 /dev/net/tun
Then I could install OpenVPN using a skript.
The only problem of this approach is that it does not persist after a reboot of my VPS. So I installed in addition a cronjob @Reboot performing these steps.
Works perfect with a large number of clients.

Back