• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Turn off DNS Server (BIND)?

Paul Larson

Basic Pleskian
No crisis here, I was just curious if there is a clear explanation on when it is necessary to run DNS/Bind on a Plesk server.

If a server hosts 30 domains, and all (via whois lookup) use their own DNS, whether it's GoDaddy or Network Solutions, is there any reason to use Plesk's DNS Service?

(If I turned it off to save resources, what would happen?)

I'm not eager to try this on a live server, but I remember turning off Plesk DNS in some performance tuning tutorials.

Paul

Hi Paul,

If your server environment doesn't use BIND, you can exclude the DNS server component from your Plesk installation.

Thanks!
My question was more basic: How would I know, with certainty, if BIND isn't utilized on a Plesk server? My assumption is I don't use it, but I don't want to make a noticeable mistake.

Each hosted domain on your Plesk server should use other DNS-servers as primary and secondary DNS servers. Let's imagine that I have a Plesk server with hostname and IP-address like panel.myplesk.local [192.0.2.1], and it services a website for example.com.

Code:
ubuntu@panel:~$ dig +short @8.8.8.8 example.com NS
a.iana-servers.net.
b.iana-servers.net.

ubuntu@panel:~$ dig +short @8.8.8.8 a.iana-servers.net.

ubuntu@panel:~$ dig +short @8.8.8.8 b.iana-servers.net.

So, it looks like other DNS servers are used for DNS resolving.

---

It is also important to be sure that you do not use any Plesk extension for synchronizing DNS records from Plesk with external DNS servers and DNS services, e.g.: Slave DNS Manager, DigitalOcean DNS, Azure DNS, etc.

I don't use it, but I don't want to make a noticeable mistake.

I completely uninstalled it as I use an external DNS Service (CloudFlare) so I do not need it in any way!
Never encountered any issues, by deinstalling it completely.

And always remember: if you really dont need something, just uninstall it as! You can always reinstall it but as soon as deleted your Server will not utilize it and you will not get updates for it. But also you will not suffer from (possible) security issues there parts are bringing with them as no software is perfekt.

Back