• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Two domains both on 1 Dedicated IP

curdude

New Pleskian
Hello All,

I ran into an interesting issue. I just noticed that two of my domains are set up using the same dedicated IP address (I only have 1 IP address on my VPS). The interesting things is that both are resolving corrected to their allocated location (www.domain1.com, www.domain2.com). I always thought that if you had one IP address, the IP address should be set to shared so when you add new domains those would be assigned a unique internal address for correct routing to their allocated location. FYI, DNS is not managed by my VPS.

Any thoughts as to why this is working ok with the VPS IP address set on dedicated? What would be the correct or best practices setting?

Thanks.

Hi, both shared and dedicated IP can be used for hosting multiple domains. The difference is only important when multiple customers are on one server (shared hosting) - while shared IP can be used by domains of multiple customers, dedicated IP can be used by one customer only. Obviously the difference cannot be noticed if VPS is used for your own sites only.

Probably shared-vs-dedicated shall not be even exposed in case of no other customers on a server - perhaps we can make it simpler. Thanks for the idea

Regards

Hello Sergey,

Thank you for your help. My provider also said that it did not matter if all the domains were mine. So it makes sense.

Thanks again.

Back