• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Ubuntu 18 -> 20 dist-upgrade in proxmox container

fliegerhermi

Regular Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 18.04.6 LTS
Plesk version and microupdate number
Version 18.0.52 Update #3
Hi. I read the KB article concerning the upgrade of ubuntu servers.
The article states that dist-upgrade is not possible in a containerized environment. Why is that the case?
A fresh install with plesk-migrator is way more work....

Thank you!

Because a container is not the same as an actual full OS installation. Running a container is great if the application in question is kept within the same container type environment (aka staying on ubuntu 18), but when you're going from, say, ubuntu 18 to 20 for a container, the application itself might not know the new environment and will run into errors. Likewise, if you're trying to do a dist-upgrade within the container itself, there's a lot of variables that could go wrong. Plus doing an upgrade is always more complex and can run into issues.

I, personally, am a firm believer of anything productive that the underline OS needs upgrading to the next major version would be a whole new server and just migrate things over. More work, probably, but it saves you headaches from having to deal with a upgrade that might or might not work.

Can you try updating the container anyways? Sure, no one's going to stop you, just know that it's not a supported method for Plesk so make sure you have backups that you can roll back to.

Or you can do the safe route, which is what I always do, and spin up a new server and use the plesk migrator to migrate it over.

Well I guess than I'll follow your advice, but I'll set up the new plesk in a VM instead of a CT so that I don't have to do it again.
There are so many small tweaks and adjustments that need to be setup again on a new install, so that I'm really not keen on doing it montly....

Hi.
I have same issue, a lot of configuration files, many small tweaks and adjustments that need to be setup again on a new installation.
I'm using a virtualized environment KVM, under VM chassis, and Plesk Obsidian Web host edition 18.0.52.3 version.
This tutorial (https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/...pgrade-procedure-on-Linux-server-with-Plesk-#) is valid for this configuration, or there exist new tutorial for this Plesk version?
Ubuntu 18.04.6 LTS is installed on server, and I need upgrade, because the end of life of this ubuntu version is the next 30th of this month.
I see on Contabo tutorial that I can use do-release-upgrade command for update version.
What is the better option, use Ubuntu command line do-release-upgrade and use Plesk command "plesk installer install-all-updates", or follow the tutorial on link provided for distribution upgrade?
In advanced, thanks for your time and dedication.
Best regards

Well I guess than I'll follow your advice, but I'll set up the new plesk in a VM instead of a CT so that I don't have to do it again.
Which version of proxmox do you have?
proxmox 7+ is actually based on debian 11, so it is a lot closer to ubuntu 20 or 22 than to 18.
There are so many small tweaks and adjustments that need to be setup again on a new install, so that I'm really not keen on doing it montly....
Updates within a release should be fine either way.

What difference does the proxmox version make if you run Plesk in a vm?

Updates within a release are fine, but now that the EOL of the release is reached that doesn't help and causes a lot of work

What difference does the proxmox version make if you run Plesk in a vm?
Not much, save for bugs.
But for a container, the host should have same or newer kernel version than the guest, otherwise there could be required features missing.
So with an up-to-date host, you have a better chance of a guest upgrade succeeding.

Ah thanks for info. I'll just create a new VM and upgrade through migration.
I guess I need two plesk licenses for the time I am running the two VMs parallel... Bunch of work

You can just trial license the new machine, and move the existing license over after. Generally what I would do.

Back